Attach airlock and transfer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been 4 days of my 1 gallon pomegranate fermentation, should i move it to the secondary fermenter(carboy) and then put the airlock or leave it there and just attach the airlock?

It's been 4 days of my 1 gallon pomegranate fermentation, should i move it to the secondary fermenter(carboy) and then put the airlock or leave it there and just attach the airlock?

How many posts are you going to have on your pomegranate ?

We try and give you the best advice and mainly it is a hydrometer in order to find out starting and ending results - There really is no other way of doing it other than plain guessing - Please dont take this personally - but I already told you in a previous post to add the airlock

How many posts are you going to have on your pomegranate ?

We try and give you the best advice and mainly it is a hydrometer in order to find out starting and ending results - There really is no other way of doing it other than plain guessing - Please dont take this personally - but I already told you in a previous post to add the airlock

I'm TOTALLY new to this man. I just want to know whether to just attach the airlock to the primary fermenter or siphon it out to the secondary fermenter........:?

I'm TOTALLY new to this man. I just want to know whether to just attach the airlock to the primary fermenter or siphon it out to the secondary fermenter........:?

If you have sediment on the bottom of the primary - I would assume that you had a good fermenation - then I would transfer into your secondary container.

Try and stay on 1 post if it is about the same subject - you typically will not get any better responce by posting duplicates

And we don't know either. Generally speaking 4 days is not long enough, but sometimes a really quick ferment will reach that spot in 4 days. The BEST way to tell is to use a hydrometer to get a specific gravity reading (below 1.005 then transfer to secondary).

Lacking a specific gravity reading, one has to rely on visuals and audibles, which can be misleading. If the wine is cool then it will ferment slowly and may have slow visual and audible signs.

Personally, I never put an airlock on a primary, and I wait 7-8 days.

Good luck, and get a hydrometer.

Steve

Good luck, and get a hydrometer.
I was responding to a wine question on Facebook a few minutes ago, and was reminded of this thread. Basically, I have changed my mind about the quoted sentence. It should have read...

Good luck, and get two or three hydrometers. They break easily.

Steve

Latest posts

Back