Asking for advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I plan on ordering about 20 "Erect" blackberries and maybe 10 Blueberries pretty soon in order to get the discount for ordering early. What do you think is the best to order.
I want them for eating, canning and wine (not just wine). Erect and thornless on the blackberries
Thanks
Semper Fi

I like them thornless blackberries just for their being easier to pick and take care of. I was just looking at the thorny one a while ago and thinking of mowing them this fall.

Part of it depends on where you live - atleast for the blueberries; theres 2 basic types with different groups (based on hardiness) within those types.. Lowbush blueberries grow a lot like ground-cover & stay under 2ft tall, and dont put off as much fruit as Highbush blueberries which get 4ft tall & 4ft wide/around...

My 'Duke' & 'Spartan' blueberries are Highbush varieties, & are cold hardy, requiring some chilling hours for proper fruit set... They'll get 4ft tall, wide & put off about 20lbs / year per plant at that size... A little research, knowing your climate & needs, and you can find the right cultivars.

Blackberries are a bit easier - they grow just about anywhere if theres water... My thornless, erect variety is 'Apache' but others of notable interest are 'Arapaho', 'Quachita' & 'Navaho'... They do require some chilling hours, each variety being a bit different but theres a variety that'll fruit where you are, im sure.

Latest posts

Back