Ash Hill Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randoneur

Reaction score
Preparing to convert over some rows of vines to new varieties this Spring.
Trying to propagate vines from pruning cuttings:
I have several bundles of grafted cuttings resting in the laundry room. In about 3-4 weeks I'll move them to pots to get them ready to transplant in May.
The pictures show what I did for my bundle of Chardonnay. Grafted Chardonnay to rootstock.

1 Cuttings.jpg

2 Ready to graft .jpg

3 Closup of Graft  Joint.jpg

4 Grafted and Taped.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you have the Omega grafting tool. Good luck on the grafted cuttings. How long have they been in the water? I would take them out if it has been more than a day or two.

Cuttings were in the water for about an hour as I collected cutting and as I finished grafting. For callusing they were covered with damp media and bagged. I would have prefered to pack them in moist peat moss, but used wet newpaper instead.

I would one day surely like to get involved at the vineyard level. It is one aspect of the wine making process that I sorely miss.

One of the lastest videos on Youtube for oneacrewine shows him grafting from his Cab vines. It goes into the whole process. I don't know enough about it to say yah or nah, but it sure was interesting to watch.

I think they used peat moss bags to root the stock.

I recieved my grow pots from Stuewe and Sons. Pots are 10 inches deep so I should be able to get a good start on the roots before they leave the greenhouse.

http://www.stuewe.com/

DSC00170 [800x600].jpg

You currently have a row that has a single variety on it.

You purchased pruned cuttings of Chardonnay and grafted them onto root stock of whatever variety you currently have planted?

The rootstock is 3309. I have a couple of vines that do not have anything grafted onto them and I took the cuttings from them for the bottom of the bench graft.

Back