Artscraftsofmexico barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgift

Reaction score
Just got a very cool bday present, a 6 gal American oak barrel form these folks. What's your experience? It's new, leak soaking? I have a Cab and a Barbara in bulk storage and a Pinot Noir fermenting. Thinking about starting with the cab....how long? Then the Barbara, same question and will the oak still be to strong for the Pinot? I have a Super Tuscan LE that hasn't seen yeast yet. I could get that in the line up? Looking forward to taking it up a notch. By the way I don't like heavily oaked wine but I like it in moderation.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1430338001.744880.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not familiar with your specific barrel, but my experience with a 23L Vadai barrel is that quite a bit of oak will show in the first few wines that run through the barrel. You'll need to taste them frequently (weekly?) at first.
The first wine through should be a wine that can handle a lot of oak. You might even forego oak cubes (not the dust or chips in the primary) until the wine has been through the barrel. If needed, you can oak it with those after racking out of the barrel.
My first kit (WE Selection Shiraz) only spent 3 weeks in the barrel. At 18 months in the bottle, it still tastes pretty "woody". I've read that the oak will fade with time, but it's a slow process. By the fourth kit, I was at 12 weeks barrel time. My schedule ended up being 3 weeks/6 weeks/8 weeks/12 weeks.
Unless you want to deal with more barrel sanitation issues, keeping it full at all times is important. I'm new at this barrel thing, and still steep on the learning curve, but I wanted to make sure I had a bunch of kits in que ready to rotate in exactly when I needed to rack one out. I would also highly recommend an SO2 tester. Barrels vary on how much sulfite they chew up, but it will tax your sulfite levels.
You can also rotate wines back into the barrel once it's neutral to take fuller advantage of the micro-oxygenation/concentration aspects of barrel aging. I have never done that, but I've read others on this forum make that suggestion.
As far as your wines go, I might be cautious with the Pinot Noir early on. I would probably wait until the barrel is good and neutral before I put that one in, but I'm not a fan of a lot of oak in a Pinot Noir.
I not sure of any special care that might be required of the spigot. Maybe someone else will comment on that. And I was told that the wooden bungs can be a pain to remove. I got a solid silicone bung that has worked great for me.
Good luck!

Latest posts

Back