Other Artful winemaker/Riesling bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Reaction score
This is the bottleing operation for my Riesling kit I began NewYears weekend
No labels yet.
Does it look clear enough?

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

Looks clear, but I have found it takes almost a year for Riesling to age! Good luck.

Looks clear, but I have found it takes almost a year for Riesling to age! Good luck.

Thanks. I switched out the kit corks for #9s and plan on letting it go til fall at least.

The wine looks fine. One question, though, how long did those bubbles last?

You know the kit only said to stir for a couple of minutes. I stired a few more but did not rack and degass. The contraption this kit uses has no room for a drill.
It was gaseous, as was the first kit I did with this system. Im going to let it age and hope it degases naturally. Also will probably decant when I serve it.
I did give the bottles a good shake before corking.
I dont think Ill use it again as I have purcheased the larger tools since Im hooked now. I may use it for bottleing but probably not. May give it to my brother as he is space limited. Very expensive as far as kits go. Same price only 12 bottles.

You know the kit only said to stir for a couple of minutes. I stired a few more but did not rack and degass. The contraption this kit uses has no room for a drill.
It was gaseous, as was the first kit I did with this system. Im going to let it age and hope it degases naturally. Also will probably decant when I serve it.
I did give the bottles a good shake before corking.
I dont think Ill use it again as I have purcheased the larger tools since Im hooked now. I may use it for bottleing but probably not. May give it to my brother as he is space limited. Very expensive as far as kits go. Same price only 12 bottles.

Dave, you'll be best served by sticking to the brand names like Cellar Craft, Mosti Mondiale, RJ Spagnols, and Winexpert at least until you have the experience to judge others. I suspected you hadn't degassed from the picture, which is why I asked. Wine can degas over time if there's some place for the gas to go. With a cork on I don't believe much gas will get out.

It certainly looks nice and many people like white wine with a bit of a fizz, particularly a riesling. Just tell everyone you planned it that way.

Wait a second: this wine was started New Year's weekend? So you've gone from ferment to bottle in three weeks? Wow. Talk about an early drinker.

Wait a second: this wine was started New Year's weekend? So you've gone from ferment to bottle in three weeks? Wow. Talk about an early drinker.
Well, so far, just an early bottler. The kit instructions call for bottling on day 28, so just a few days early.

Steve

The extra few days might have allowed it to clear that last little bit. It may be the angle or the picture, but it looks just a bit hazy to me yet. Not enough to really matter, just something a bit more time may have taken care of. Also I notice uneven shrinking on the capsules. What did you use to shrink them? Boil a small pot of water and either dip them on or wait until it steams and then dip it into the steam to shrink more evenly.
Just making a few notes so you can learn and improve the looks even more.

The extra few days might have allowed it to clear that last little bit. It may be the angle or the picture, but it looks just a bit hazy to me yet. Not enough to really matter, just something a bit more time may have taken care of. Also I notice uneven shrinking on the capsules. What did you use to shrink them? Boil a small pot of water and either dip them on or wait until it steams and then dip it into the steam to shrink more evenly.
Just making a few notes so you can learn and improve the looks even more.

Thanks, these were foil wraps. I held them in boiling water for a good minute with no change. I picked up some of the shrikable wraps from LHBS yesterday Actually statred on 1/29. jumped secondary ferintation a bit.

Dave, you'll be best served by sticking to the brand names like Cellar Craft, Mosti Mondiale, RJ Spagnols, and Winexpert at least until you have the experience to judge others. I suspected you hadn't degassed from the picture, which is why I asked. Wine can degas over time if there's some place for the gas to go. With a cork on I don't believe much gas will get out.

It certainly looks nice and many people like white wine with a bit of a fizz, particularly a riesling. Just tell everyone you planned it that way.

Well the wife bought me this contraption for christmas last year. As Noted earlier I wont be using it again. wines not bad but is gaseous due to the sytem used.
I currently have a carboy of WE Sauv Blanc aging/clarifying, and a carboid of dragons blood just moved to secondary today.

Hey Mike,

Please let me know where you have found a Reliesling that is an early drinker, I have only made one and it took forever to come around. What do you consider early and what kit are you useing??

Back