WineXpert Argentine Malbec Wine Kit w/ skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have purchased three kits from Labelpeelers. When they put certain kits on sale, sometimes different Winexpert Eclipse kits or Winexpert skin kits, they have really great prices even with tax, since they are in ohio, and shipping. They say they are manufactured by LD Carlson and it comes in a Ld Carlson box. Once you get the kit unpacked they are Winexpert kits. I really like a commercial Malbec and just bought the Malbec Bonarda Limited Edition on sale. I really don't NEED another kit but this one is really attractive.:slp

Thanks Earl...yes they have maybe the cheapest prices around on almost everything.
So did you actually buy this kit?

I spoke to Matt, that kit is 18L plus the grape skins pack.

That is a pretty good price; in fact a great price if you want that kit. The rest of their grape skin kits are priced higher than other merchants. I guess they're looking to blow off excess inventory or older inventory perhaps. It's a good deal!

Todd, I can tell you that their products are always fresh, they're located about 2 miles away from their main supplier LD carlson.
The only online merchant that i've seen prices in kits just a hair cheaper, like $5, is southernbrew but then the shipping cost makes labelpeelers win my business, hands down so far.

I wish they could sponsor this site and will be mentioning that to them soon.

Going back to this topic, I'd like to hear comments about this kit.
What's different between Chilean Malbec and Argentinian Malbec?

It would depend on where the grapes comes from and how hot the microclimate is. I have heard that Chilean Malbec can be more tannic than those from Argentina...a little closer to the French style but still more fruit-forward. The Argentine kit in question only come out last year (though I think WE used to have another years ago). People are only just now getting close to a year of bulk aging (if they are) with this kit. My guess is that it turns out to be a good wine like the other WE Selection kits with grape skins.

I have this kit in secondary right now. Juice preferment was delicious. I got it from Brew and Wine supply, delivered cheaper than what label peelers says than can deliver to my house.

That's the thing with kits that weigh 50lbs. You usually have to go with the merchant who is closest to your home as shipping is always weight plus distance. Obviously Connecticut is closer to Ohio than Florida. I do not also subscribe to the belief that just because one company is a block from the main supplier that they are getting fresher kits. These kits all have expiration dates and no doubt that the distributor is getting in hundreds of each particular kit so if the Ohio company is getting kits dated 01/25/13 then so is every other merchant. This is assuming a merchant is a high volume dealer and not some mom & pop dealer who may have the kit sitting in their store for a few months. That's another reason I deal with Southern is because I know my kits are always fresh. Although being a block away from the main distributor does have its perks. :)

Back