WineXpert Argentine Malbec - extending time for step 3 (stabilize and clear)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

overpinot

Junior
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a WE Selection International Argentine Malbec. I have completed step 3 (stabilizing and clearing). The instructions call for the kit to be racked again to another carboy after 8 days. Can I extend this time to more like 14 or 21 days? I'm in no particular hurry and planned to leave it an extended period in the carboy for aging. I have two other carboys in use and don't want to buy another. Otherwise, I'd have to rack into a bucket, clean and sanitize the carboy, and re-rack back into the same carboy. Seems like alot of extra work.
Also, after completing stabilizing and clearing, the wine in the carboy developed a foam head about 1/2 inch in depth at the neck. I thought it was just gas bubbles but they haven't really dissappeared since stirring (with power drill). Not quite sure what to make of it. anyone seen something similiar?

1st whats the gravity?
2nd aging will just help the wine. Go for it.
Now the bubbles. Did they appear when you degassed?

gravity after stabilizing and clearing was 0.994. Moving to step 4 in the instructions is not dependent on gravity, just time. The foam bubbles appeared after I completed clearing and topped off with a commercial bottle of Merlot, but not immediately, probably a day later.

OK.
If you did not degas I would do it now. Then leave it...

You may not have degassed enough and the wine giving up the gas. If you plan on letting it sit for a long time the gas will come out. It depends on the temp its stored at and how long you keep it stored in the carboy. Waiting until you have a carboy free is no problem. You may want to do some more degassing the next time you move it to another carboy just to be safe or if you plan to bottle soon. WE kits have lots of gas for some reason.

I think you are right about the de-gassing, even though I did it as much or more than the directions said during step 3. Sounds like the step 4 in the WE kit (racking and clarification) is not that time dependent if you are planning to age in the carboy, which I want to do at least 6 months. I will de-gas again after I rack to the second carboy. I suspect the "foam" will stay behind after racking.

The times for degassing on the instructions are general. I have doubled the times and still had gas in the wine. Best thing is to degass more than you think then test it by putting some in a tube and shaking it. If you hear a Pffft sound after releasing your thumb then you need to degas again. Degassing is not something to be taken lightly. I've done about 10 kits so far and I still made a mistake on my Luna Rossa I just bottled and it is slightly effervescent. Its not going to blow the corks and after decanting the wine is fine.

I've actually stopped doing the last "this will make your wine brilliantly clear" step on my kits. I just let it sit a few weeks longer, and make sure the lees get good and compact, then bottle from there. You just have to be careful not to disturb the lees, but so far I haven't had any problems. When you think about it, the lower end kits completely skip this step anyway, as long as the wine is clear, you should be good.

Having said that, I vacuum de-gas with a mityvac, and if I ever decide to bulk age, I would rack off any lees before doing so.

Peace,
Bob

Bob you're absolutely right in skipping this process. If you're not ever planning on entering a competition letting the wine clear on its own is perfect. In competition it could mean the difference of placing or not. With the two wines sitting right next to each other there is a difference between clear and brilliantly clear.

Advice Appreciated Here

I'm also well into my WE Selection International Argentine Malbec. Sunday I racked the wine off the lees. I believe the kit instructions call for a two week period to clear prior to bottling. The wine looks nice and rich. My taste buds are calling out for a sample. I have been considering an extended clearing period. Your comments confirm there is no significant downside to doing that.

Does anyone recommend another kit? I enjoy dry yet deeply flavorfull red wines.

Thanks and happy tasting,

Paul

It doesn't matter if you wait an extra week or two after stabilizing before racking off the sediment. You will have a heavy layer of sediment on the bottom after just a few days. The point of this racking is to get your wine off that sediment before the dead yeast start to impart off flavors into your wine. That process, from what I have read, takes a couple of months. So leaving for an extra week or two before racking won't hurt a thing.

Whenever I get a ring of bubbles around the top of the carboy after stabilizing, it's always caused by not degassing enough. Here is what I would do: Wait until you are ready to rack to another carboy (1-3 weeks), then get the wine good and warm (at least 75 degrees). I would use a small heating pad if you have to. Rack off the heavy sediment to the new carboy, then degas again. It's not going to hurt anything because now you are going to leave the wine sit for a while, so hit it the the drill again and try to make sure you get rid of all the gas you can.

Wine Expert instructions basically tell you you can degas in 6 minutes. Other kits tell you to degas 3 times a day for three days. I think maybe the Wine Expert instructions are a little light.

Does anyone recommend another kit? I enjoy dry yet deeply flavorfull red wines.
Paul

If you want to stay with the W.E. brand, I would recommend the International GSM (Grenach, Syrah, Mourvedre), Luna Rossa, and Original Barolo Style.

If you want to step up a notch, go to anything in the Estate series. More expensive, but more full bodied. They also have to be aged longer.

I tend to make about 50/50 Estate series and Original/International series. The latter are generally easier to drink with minimal aging, while the former are all excellent wines that reward you for being patient.

Back