Are there any dry reds that can handle humidity

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wzazdzez

Reaction score
Are there any good or desent dry reds that can handle high humidity?___________"Theres many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

There are several members with vinyards. I'm sure one will chime in.

The big problem would be the potential fungus that you would have to always spray for and you can only spray so often.

Thinning and airation would help a lot. Check around your area and with the agricultural dept. for what they recommend you to grow.

Cynthiana/Norton grapes are grown a lot around here (KY), along with Chambourcin. I know the Norton's are fairly disease resistant and tolerate heat and humidity better than some others, but I don't know if even they can tolerate that Alabama heat! I have heard of people in Texas growing them as well, so maybe they can.

There are plenty of folks growing grapes in North Ala. Check around and see what others are growing, Norton is definitely one of them because it ripens quite late. IMHO look at what is grown in region 4/5 areas in Cali., 4000-4500+GDD areas.

You should check around to see if your area has Pierce's disease, if so, you will need resistant varieties.

Make phone calls to the wineries/vineyards in the state of Alabama. I know for a fact many are growing Norton(aka Cynthiana) and Chambourcin. Maybe Cabernet Franc.

Back