Are my blackberries too far gone?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analog_kidd

Reaction score
I found an untapped field of blackberries nearby, but when I went and inspected them they seemed a little smallish and somewhat dried out. It has been scorchingly hot here, so I expect that has something to do with it. I tried a few and they are a little on the bitter side. I don't know if the sugar helps that. There is juice in them, but I think I may need to pick more than what would usually be recommended.

My question is, should I go ahead and pick them, or is it not even worth it. I fairly new to wine making, and have never used real fruit like this before. I don't want to waste my time and have it come out totally awful.

I would think they will impart some of the bitterness to your wine. Sugar mite take it out, and again it mite not. Think I would wait for a year with some good tasting berries. Then again if I had the time, I mite just go ahead and try a batch. This is one of the great things about making your own wine. You can make it however you want. Good luck with it, Arne.

Usually if they are not worth eating, they are not worth making wine from. Sometimes the dried ones can be super sweet, but usually if they are bitter it means they dried before they finished ripening and were usually lacking water as they attempted to ripen. At least that is what I have learned over the many years of picking berries.

Back