Apple Cider wine fortified

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markb1983

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am in need of some guidance. I am looking at fortifying some home made apple cider. I fermented dry using a beer yeast. I back sweetened with splenda to prevent new fermentation. I was going to bottle carbonate it however i added some some stabilizers and now it probably won't carbonate. So now i am thinking of fortifying it.

Choices are: 1) Fireball whiskey

2) Some sort of brandy,

3) Another hard liquor?

Advice?

Anything dark will alter the color, so there's that to consider.

I'd probably go with vodka in this instance, or just enjoy it for what it already is.

Its kinda blaaaa. i wish i wouldnt have added the splenda. Is there any brandy you would recommend?

I use E&J VSOP for fortifying. The best quality for a decent price.

I was gonna say something about the Splenda, but I figured you already figured that out lol

Yeah, rookie mistake!!! I am curious if the yeast i used will taste different with the brandy? Did you back sweeten it with sugar?

Before you do the whole batch, draw a glass and add a small amount of brandy. Start out with a little and add some more. If you find you like it at any stage, you can figure how to add that amount to the whole batch. This way you shouldn't wind up like you did with the splenda "I wish I woulda" Arne.

Try some storebought moonshine. You can find some that has apple flavoring already in it.

Would brandy complement the apple cider? I was curious how the whiskey would do? I think the alcohol helps stabilize it too. I have used E&J VSOP before for port and it turned out well!

I've added E&J brandy (plus some sugar and oak) to pear and think it works pretty well. Like any addition you need to add some and let it sit for a couple of weeks to see if you like it or want to add more.
Give it a small test, maybe a pint or quart mason jar to start.
Mike

I think brandy could be very nice with a dry cider or Apple wine... kind if like Calvados. Curious what a sweetened version would end up like. Please let us know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back