apple, blackberry wine.. err I think.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dribron

Junior
Reaction score
Hey all, just joined your site, but have been lurking around for some time. Anyway I use to brew beer, then got into hard cider for a bit. For a long while I wanted to try my hand at wine making. So over the last few days I went for it. Here's what I did.
I started with one gallon fresh cider, and added three pounds fresh black berrys to it, ( in strainer bag)
After a S.G. test I found the must to be 1.050 so I added about two pound of sugar bringing it to 1.080. An acid test put it about .65-.70%, so I left that. I added one camden tablet that had been crushed and let it go for a day. I also started a yeast starter with some of the must, the yeast, and a touch of yeast starter.
The next day I rechecked the S.G. and added pectic enzime and tossed the yeast.

So does eveerything seem okay so far... or have I messed up somewhere? I can say that it smells pretty good..:fsh

I have about five or six pounds of cheerys that were given to me in the freezer, pitted of course. I hope to do something with them next...

Oh I may have forgotten to memtion.. I did, I belive it said in the bottel 1tsp per gallon.

Hi Dribron

Welcome to winemamkingtalk. By the sounds of it you are doing pretty good, this sounds like it is going to be pretty good wine. The only thing I would suggest is START ANOTHER ONE, QUICK. Trust me, you really need to.:h

With apple and Blackberry you have to use Pectic enzymes if you want it to clear. 3/4 teaspoon per gallon. It is not to late, add it

It was added before the yeast starter... Cannot remember how much. I used the liqued type.

Caught My Eye

Something you wrote caught my eye. You said the SG of the must was 1.050 and then you added about 2 pounds of sugar to a SG of 1.080. It would only take about 11 ozs of sugar to raise the SG that far in a 1 gal batch. Is this batch bigger than 1 gallon?

I could have been wrong... but close.. fist I added 1 pound, measured it came to ~1.060, I then added more not sure how much exactly to bring it to 1.080. I remeasured it the next morning, it still sets at 1.080. It is 1.5 gallons not 1 gallon.

Latest posts

Back