Any tips on adding humidity to a wine cellar?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My cellar right now is at 50% humidity. I installed a small wall fountain but it hasn't done much. Anyone have any tips, thanks.

Although not ideal, 50% is not bad. 70% would be better.

Purchase a humidifier. They are not that expensive.

Last edited:
hot plate set at low with a pot of water on it should get you some more humidity with out to much work

I Dunno. Having a hot plate constantly running unattended does not seem to me to be a god idea. Also, too much humidity is just as bad as too little (mold, warping walls, etc)

Spend the extra money and get a humidifier. This will maintain a contant humidity level and is safe to have running unattended.

of course, if you wanted to go the extra mile, you could purchase an environmental unit made especially for wine. This will not only maintain humidity levels, but also maintain the proper temerature level (costs big bucks though).

Maybe a cool mist vaporizer would work for you? They're fairly inexpensive and wouldn't be adding any significant heat to the wine storage area. I'm not sure how easy it is to regulate though, maybe it would put out too much moisture. Maybe you could connect it to an outlet timer and only have it run for 15 minutes 4 times a day or something like that.
31Ou2voFTqL._SL110_.jpg

Last edited:
I used wet towels successfully to accomplish this in my cellar back when I lived in a dryer area.

I do have the Whisperkool unit which keeps my cellar at 58-60 degrees, but does not do anything for humidity. Looks like buying a small humidifier might do the trick, thanks for the input everyone!

Latest posts

Back