Any reason why i shoulnd do this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan69man

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm the process of making the eclipse Zinfandel with grape skins and I've started my secondary fermentation. After racking to my carboy I still had about 1l of liquid left and decided to add to a one litre bottle, so I could use it to top up after future racking. Is there any reason why this would be unwise? I really don't want to mess this up and if this might cause problems I'll just throw it out and use marbles to top up later.

image-1151839033.jpg

Just two quick comments. First, your approach is fine except that the carboy looks too low to me. See if you could bring it up to within 2 inches. Also, (although unrelated) make certain that bung in the carboy is sealing completely. It looks a little small to me.

Hey everyone, I'm the process of making the eclipse Zinfandel with grape skins and I've started my secondary fermentation. After racking to my carboy I still had about 1l of liquid left and decided to add to a one litre bottle, so I could use it to top up after future racking. Is there any reason why this would be unwise? I really don't want to mess this up and if this might cause problems I'll just throw it out and use marbles to top up later.

I am just starting out so I dont have similar wine to top up my county wines.I have been doing exactly what you are doing. I dont make a 5gal batch it is more like 5 1/2 gallons. I have a host of different size bottles to hold that little extra.

RR

Dan I do the same thing, left over goes in a smaller bottle. I use that for topping up later. If you are still fermenting do not worry about topping up just yet enough. But if you are at .0997 or less then top off...

I stated this batch last week my SG is at .996 so I went ahead with the transfer to my secondary fermentation. My bung does look small but seems to be in nice and tight. I'm looking into some breathable silicon bungs.

The carboy is barely topped up enough. If air pressure change expands it, there is enough room to expand a bit. If pressure lowers and the level does also, then top up a bit.

Topped it up right away, thankfully I kept the extra. Thank for the suggestions guys.

I do the small bottle thing too, works great for the secondary.

That room looks bright. Are you covering your carboy? Light kills wine.

I do the small bottle thing too, works great for the secondary.

That room looks bright. Are you covering your carboy? Light kills wine.

Its a room between my kitchen and garage there is normally no light in there.
It's nice and toasty so it's much easier to keep the Temp up for Fermentation.

Your doing great. Just give the wine enough room to expand. So it doesn't get into the air lock. Direct sunlight is very harmful but regular room light has no UV rays. I personally would keep the jug in a little cooler room that has a very stable temperature. Temperature fluctuations day after day will spoil your wine. Hence wine cellar. Cool, dark, stable.

galen1 said:
Your doing great. Just give the wine enough room to expand. So it doesn't get into the air lock. Direct sunlight is very harmful but regular room light has no UV rays. I personally would keep the jug in a little cooler room that has a very stable temperature. Temperature fluctuations day after day will spoil your wine. Hence wine cellar. Cool, dark, stable.

The temperature in this room is stable at 72 and I have a little heater to make sure it doesn't dip when the rest of the house goes down to 61 when I'm not home or in bed. It really is the only room with stable temp and my garage is at about 55. This room gets no light at all unless I open the door and am inside. I do most of my racking after work so when I am in there the sun has gone down. So UV exposure is minimal to none.

Is that a copy of La Dolce Vita Cookbook ?

RR

Latest posts

Back