Any idea what this guy is doing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
A fellow on another board posted a brain teaser to try to figure out. He posted this pic to see if we could figure out what he was doing. I have scoured through the few books I have on wine making to see if I can figure it out. So far, no luck. Thought I would post here to see if anyone here had an idea. Only clue he gave was it had been standing for more than a month now.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

20061207_191315_dscn6452a.jpg

Looks like salad dressing oil on top and balsamic vinegar on the bottom. Maybe he is racking the oil off the vinegar.

Spinning his blood down and looking for cholesterol in the serum??

Looks like something I see at work everyday!!

Ramona

Looks like he is demonstrating the Roman method of protecting wine with olive oil. Maybe.

Stored his wine under a protective layer of oil to prevent oxidation.

That's my guess, at least.

That is different. If it's not a salad dressing, and that top layer is not oil, I'm guessing that it is alchohol to keep the bad guys out since there is no airlock on it. Potentially making Port?

Well, when I posted these ideas to him,I got a "No" to the vinegar and oil salad dressing but thatI was looking in the right direction. So, looks like that is an area to dive into.
smiley20.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

rgecaprock said:
Spinning his blood down and looking for cholesterol in the serum??

Looks like something I see at work everyday!!

Ramona

Ramona!! That is exactly what it looks like Maybe he is going to a CBC!!!
smiley36.gif

NW, That was along the lines that I was thinking. Don't know that much about different fruits and such, but it appears that he is seperating the oil, or extract from something. You may be correct with Vanilla, What else would seperate oils? (other than Waldos Banana Chips
smiley36.gif
) (that wasn't funny..... sorry Waldo)

Thzt wasn't even funny Jobe ....Well, maybe just a little bit ROFLMAO

[
20061207_191315_dscn6452a.jpg

They are making vinegar. They have already made it. They have vinegar on the bottom and in the middle is the 'mother' floating on the top. They probably wanted more so they added some applejuice or white wine. After you do this, you cover the top with a 'cheesecloth' to keep bugs and stuff out and put it in a dark place for a few weeks to work it's magic.

Thats my guess anyway.

Ok, I'm going to give everyone a little insight into my head... then I will go take my medication. I cannot stand not knowing something. It makes me crazy. Want to see my head smoke, give me a riddle... No please don't. That is really just mean. I've been thinking about this mysterious bottle since it has been posted.

Smurfe, do me a favor, post this word on the other forum and see if it is correct:

<h1>Kombucha</h1>
For all those wondering here is a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

Now, please stop the pain....
smiley29.gif

Edited by: rshosted

So that's what it's called....Years ago for awhile everyone around here was drinking that tea.... including us....we called it mushroom tea. For a couple years we drank it, it tasted like tea/apple cider, wasn't bad...we would drink 3/4 cup first thing in the mornings. It was suppose to be like the Apple Cider vinegar that people were drinking to 'cure-all'
I made mine in a 4 quart ice cream container, it would make a new thin 'mushroom' on top of the old one each week. Then would throw the old one away and use the new one in your fresh tea mixture...when someone wanted to make some you would cut a chunk off with the scissors and send it in a plastic bag.
Gads, I had forgotten about that thing..it was rubbery and slimmy...Thought it died out in the 80's...Mine always floated on top of the tea, it really didn't look like what's in that bottle....if you made it in a bottle like that you could never get it out...it was pretty tough stuff.
Maybe if I would have kept drinking it I wouldn't have gotten Intestinal Cancer...maybe it caused it....?
Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back