Another question re S.G.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flem

Reaction score
I'll swear I read it correctly but, yesterday, after I pitched my yeast, the S.G. was 1.094. Today, it was 1.100. Granted, yesterday there was a lot of oak sawdust floating on the surface (does that ever sink?), and I tried using the wine thief (what a pain in the butt), so I had oak sticking to everything, but I'm pretty sure I got a good reading. I did not use the thief today, I just pushed the oak aside long enough to get a reading.

Is it possible for the S.G. to go up?

Thanks

next time...if you are using a kit and and want to see the sg...drop in your juice and your grape pack if you have one...don't drop the yeast or oak on day one...come back in 24 hrs and take an sg reading...then pitch the oak and yeast....it takes a while for those paks to release their sugar and give you an accurate starting sg...i know when i make a fruit wine i never trust the sg until i get the added sugar disolved

if you mean the sugar change...no...highly unlikely that whatever they have packaged in a juice kit does not already have all the sugars fully dissolved....a grape pack..or an addition of sugars as in the case of a fruits wine that has not been dissolved fully needs time to fully integrate to persent a true reading hence it will raise the sg in short order

Actually sort of it is true as sometimes it is true if you arent stirring the crap out of it. If you dont own a drill mounted stirrer for thoroughly mixing up all the stuff then it can be hard o integrate the water into the must well. Added fruits can and will take about 24 hours to release all their sugars into the must.

Latest posts

Back