another newbie!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonkeyJuice

Junior
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Im a new winemaker from WV. I've been reading and researching winemaking only for a short period of time and finally started my first one gallon batch of Strawberry a week and a half ago.So far I'm really only into fruit wines. I've already gotten some very useful advice here and will continue to come to this forum for questions!
Thanks again

Welcome MonkeyJuice

I too like the fruit wines, but I am thinking about doing a kit in the near future.

MonkeyJuice said:
Hey everyone! Im a new winemaker from WV. I've been reading and researching winemaking only for a short period of time and finally started my first one gallon batch of Strawberry a week and a half ago.So far I'm really only into fruit wines. I've already gotten some very useful advice here and will continue to come to this forum for questions!
Thanks again

I also make a fair amount of fruit wines. Depending on where you live you can always get frozen fruit. I have made Strawberry and mixed fruit from Sam's and get some 100% juice from Costco. Of course when the fruit season is in I also use fresh fruit. I am ready to bottle some Peach wine that I got off the farm.

Welcome
smiley32.gif

Welcome aboard! Pour yourself a glass of wine, pull up a chair, and join in. It is a fun, informational forum. Enjoy!
smiley1.gif

WV????? WV???? don't you mean West 'by God' Virginia?

wife is from there and that is what i have always been told....part of their distinguishing themselves in their separation from Virginia year ago

Yes....West "By God" Virginia!!
I wish I would have gotten into this hobby long ago because I hear you talking about how good your wines are. I'm really anxious to try some of my own but I know that aging is everything!

aging is as "everything" as is everything else
gotta have good grapes or juice /kits etc
gotta have an appreciation for the information at hand and from others
gotta have cleanliness
gotta have patience and a sense of humor

it is easy to rush the aging....i was ready to start bottling one variety about two weeks ago but got hopelessly sidetracked....today we tasted seven varieties and blends and it was amazing how they have grown....there is a saying in A Good Year...something about wine bottling the truth.....that is true, but deeper than that is something only the winemaker knows....the winemaker knows the growth and development of a wine....an end user knows just the adulthood of the wine..something analogous to knowing a 20 something year old and thereafter...you as the winemaker witnesses this also, but also witnessed the youth and adolescence

ps, i dont think i talk about 'how good' my wines are...at least in terms of my ability....but i do enjoy working with what God created...its really me bending to what exists :)

Hi, to you West Virginians.

I too, am from The Wild Wonderful State. MonkeyJuice...where abouts and Al where isyour wife from.

More beautiful than the Rockies!!!!!!! Purple Mountians Majesty!!!!

Ramona

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your fruit wine! I'm betting that you're going to be sad when the last of that gallon has been drunk!
smiley19.gif
You'll need something to do while it ages, and I suggest another batch of wine!
smiley2.gif

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes..I am just south of Morgantown. Home of the WVU Mountaineers, baby!! I ordered some morecarboys so that I wont run out of any wine! As for now, I'm just going to continue the 1 gallon until I can get the hang of it. But I can see that one gallon at a time just might not be enough...may bump it up to 5 gal. batchesthis summer when the fresh fruits start coming around. BTW...my first strawberry batch is looking,smelling, and tastingawesome.
One more thing in case I'm not on here this weekend....GO STEELERS!!!!

rgecaprock said:
Hi, to you West Virginians.

I too, am from The Wild Wonderful State.  MonkeyJuice...where abouts and Al where isyour wife from.

More beautiful than the Rockies!!!!!!! Purple Mountians Majesty!!!!

Ramona

well i would say Paaaahhhhkisberg...but they say parkersburg! :)

MonkeyJuice said:
Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes..I am just south of Morgantown. Home of the WVU Mountaineers, baby!! I ordered some morecarboys so that I wont run out of any wine! As for now, I'm just going to continue the 1 gallon until I can get the hang of it. But I can see that one gallon at a time just might not be enough...may bump it up to 5 gal. batchesthis summer when the fresh fruits start coming around. BTW...my first strawberry batch is looking,smelling, and tastingawesome.
One more thing in case I'm not on here this weekend....GO STEELERS!!!!

Yeah,

1 gallon will never be enough. You better start collecting the 6 gals soon friend.......

Hate to tell you but Kurt Warner is gonna bring the title home. Better get some more wine...... But I want Big Ben to kick butt. I'll root for the Steelers with ya.

Monkeyjuice,

My daughter just moved to Waynesburg, Pa. She is staying with her brother who teaches at the Jr. College in Morgantown.

Latest posts

Back