AN EXPERIMENTAL PORT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waldo, <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /> That sure looks great!
smiley1.gif
I love the taste of Port. We just came back from California and visited a few winery’s while there. One had what they called a Chocolate Almond. It was one port Chocolate Port and two parts Almond Champagne. What a tasty combo.

Racked , degassed and stabilized the Port this morning. I was disappointed in that I could detect only a faint hint of oakiness. It finished at .996 and I am thinking of sweetning later with Splenda. Has anyone used this on their wines?

20071006_133519_xport_degassed2.jpg

Edited by: Waldo

Don't do it Waldo! Splenda, Stevia, etc all seem to break down after 6-8 months and leave the wine tasting quite bad. Jack Keller had a good write up on it. He says that he only uses that stuff if he is going to submit a wine to competition that will be used up with 3 months. I'd think that you would plan to age this port a good long time. I'm not sure if artificial sweetener allows for that type of aging.

Why dont you throw a few cubes or a spiral in there for a little while Waldo if your looking for a little more oak. Looks dang good there though pardner.

Interesting combination. I especially like the muscat. I've thought about a port also using simular fruit. What Muscat product is that? You may already know about rasberry's but my experience has been alittle goes along ways because it easily dominates but does add a fruityness.

Not sure what region the Muscat was from but I purchased it as a blend from Elite Vinters. I know Wiedeker has a good Muscat but not sure if it is from their own grapes or if they them bring them in.

Closing the chapter on this one. I ended up notblending the Shiraz/Muscat with this one. I tried a small sample or rather a couple of small samples with different percentages of blend and i just did not care for any of them. I did however save back one gallon of the Port when I bottled it and ordered an Orange and a Chocolate extract, added a bit of each to the gallon until I got the intensity I wanted and bottled it last night. Will definately be making a larger batch of this soon. The extract I used was at the recommendation of a chef who uses their product and highy recommended I try it for my Port, so I did and it was excellent.

chocolate.jpg

orangeextract.jpg

Here is the label I designed for this one

chocolateorangeport.jpg

And the final product

IMG_1918.jpg

Waldo....Where did you get those extracts???

Those are yellow bottles aren't they??? A friend brought over some colored wine bottles....red, yellow, blue....They picked them up at a garage sale and I wondered what came in them..there was no labels on them.

OOOPPPSSS, loooked quick and it looked like OJ. Now i see they are the Luna Luna bottles!
smiley9.gif

Latest posts

Back