Cellar Craft Amarone--Cellar Craft International Showc

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I just finished placing this one in primary. The initial SG was 1.090 which struck me as a bit low but despite the initial stirring, not much of the grape pack could have released more than a small portion of its sugar at this stage. Is this initial SG what is to be expected for this kit?

that is what you should expect for the juice, yes. Unless you really massaged the bag with the skins until it felt like skins and not jam, that is what it will read. I think after massaging, I got 1.108, but it's been almost 3 years since I did that one. I still have 15 bottles of it though. This is a special one!

Thanks, Dean. I got this kit on sale for $100 and had it shipped for about $23. The distance for shipping was short, from NC to VA.

The juice was really dark and there were two pkts oak so this one ought to be bold.

SG is 1.05 now, the grape scum is gone and the must is fizzing nicely. Everything looks and smells great.

I have this kit in the secondary fermentor now. My starting SG was 1.094 after a bries grape pack massage.

Racked to secondary at SG=1.0. Spigot on bucket plugged with oak making process very slow. Placed the gross lees, including oak, in a 1 gallon jug overnight and racked. Ended up with 6 gal. in secondary plus 3/4 of a large bottle. Wine doesn't smell particularly pleasant at this stage--not spoiled, just somewhat unpleasant. It is definitely full-bodied, almost appearing syrupy!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize the problems in racking with a lot of oak shavings?Edited by: Smokegrub

Smokegrub said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to minimize the problems in racking with a lot of oak shavings?

I learned to put any oak powder, shavings, chips, elderflowers,etc. in a largemuslin bag(commonly used in beer brewing)or in the case of a kit with a grape pak I put them in the muslin bag with skins/rasins.

Makes racking to secondary a breeze, especially when using the large diameter autosyphon.
smiley1.gif

Racked and placed back in carboy. It had a slight oily film before racking. Avoided film at racking. Stirred to degas (there was none), added K-Meta, Sorbate, kieselsol and chitosan. Looks, tastes and smells great.

Every CC kit I have done gets that oily film. You can safely ignore that.

Thanks, Dean. I sure wish the kit maker would include that information with the kit. It certainly would save a lot of anxiety.

If it helps any Smoke, I just racked my CC Rosso Fortissimo and just noticed that little oil slick on top. I figured this is probably a by product from the skins/seeds since I haven't ever seen this with any of the Winexpert kits.

Thanks to Dean for the confimation!

Amarone is in 29 bottles! Tastes good at bottling. It ought to be awesome in 12 months.

This is an serious wine! It is regularly voted as the "best" wine on another forum. I love this wine. It doesn't taste like anything else and generates respect.

The bad news is that it also requires at least a year. I have 2 or 3 bottles from 05, but will be opening them soon. sigh. I didn't make any for a couple of years, so I'll either have to practice restraint, or do without. sigh.

kc

i could not wait the year....it was to delicious ( i made mine two years ago)....i periodically dip into it and have 7 bottles left.

Whenever I do a wine tasting, this is the one i always end with and it catches people off guard

I ended my fermentation at 1.02 for my taste anyways it is perfect....my kit came w sawdust...i was not a fan of that...if i do this kit again i will use chips...the dust just adds another need for racking and a general mess

me too! we could all be six feet under tomorrow! ;)

i enjoy tasting the wine as it grows and changes...and experiencing the changes...but thats just me..not always the most patient i guess

Back