Mosti Mondiale AllJuice Bourg Royal Rouge

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many people have pursued the Mosti Mondiale AllJuice Bourg Royal Rouge when purchasing kits from George. It has a funny name and the description on Mosti's site is rather cryptic and does not provide any idea to the source fruit. Back when I was ordering this, George had it on sale with some Pinot Noir kits and I had phoned him to confirm that it was a Pinot Noir-based wine.
On my cellar page for this wine, I had documented about the 1/5 of a bottle amount sitting for a week and the flavors that came through after that period. I'm currently taste-testing this wine over time and it definitely has a wonderful raspberry/spice aroma and flavor to the wine after it's seen some air. It's quite nice and I recommend this to anyone looking for a Pinot Noir style wine.

- Jim

Jim is this intended to be a Pinot Noir? How is it different from MM All Juice Pinot Noir?

That I am aware of, yes, or at least in the 'style' of Pinot Noir as kit wines are manufactured in that fashion (think Barolo and Port). I need to compare to some of the AJ Pinot Noir that I had made in November of 2008 for a more direct comparison. I don't recall the raspberry coming through as much on my 2007 Pinot Noir as it seemed more of a cherry flavor.

- Jim

My AJ Pinot Noir has that cherry flavor. I was just curious why MM would make two AJ kits with the same flavor profile.

They definitely taste different, but neither taste unlike a Pinot in characteristics. Perhaps the Bourg Royal Rouge is supposed to be more Burgundian? Maybe George can ask Nino.

- Jim

Yep, Jim, I think you just cracked the code on this one! Because "Burgundy" is a DOC region, only wines from Burgundy can be called Burgundy. When kit wines first started out, they actually had names like Burgundy and Bordeaux as well Chateauneuf du Pape, but they were taken to court and forced to change their names. Beaujolais became Bergamais, Chateauneuf du Pape became Vieux Chateau du Roi (new house of the pope vs Old house of the king), etc.

Mosti, for some reason, doesn't follow those naming standards used by the rest of the wine kit industry, and makes up their own like Bourg Royal Rouge, but the intent is the same. This would be an old world style of Pinot Noir, where the fruit is a little more muted and not quite so forward.

That makes sense. Thanks Dean. "Old World" style vs. "New World" style. Interesting.

Back