Alcohol/Wine Consultant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopsandVine

Reaction score
Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself. I am an attorney/consultant who focuses on licensing and compliance for the alcohol beverage and food industries. I have experience working with TTB, FDA, and state agencies. Hoping to meet some new people on this forum and eager to learn more from experiences of others.

Welcome aboard! Your experience and insight will be most valuable here. Especially to folks like me starting up a winery (my TTB application is currently pending under review - waiting, waiting, waiting). Any help in speeding up the process would be most welcome. I know they're overworked and I'm just a small little winery.

Last edited:
Thanks! And yes, it's pretty common to wait with TTB. It's about a 90 day processing time turnaround for winery permits right now. Unfortunately, everything with TTB seems to be tied up (formulas and labels included). Plan as much in advance as possible. Wineries are lucky because wine labels are (generally speaking) approved a lot faster than those for distilled spirits (plus some spirits need formula approvals, which can be an even longer wait), but wine labels are not without a wait themselves.

My son asked me if I could provide the wine for his wedding reception. The venues asked if I had a liquor license. Is it possible to get a temporary license to serve your own beer/wine?

Welcome to the forum!

Are there any laws or statutes we home hobby wine makers tend to overlook? I think most of us know about the 200 gallon (100 in some states) per year volume and mailing restrictions but not much else.

My son asked me if I could provide the wine for his wedding reception. The venues asked if I had a liquor license. Is it possible to get a temporary license to serve your own beer/wine?

It probably depends on the state you are located in. This isn't a TTB issue and it's probably something you have to obtain either through your state liquor authority or your local/county. You should be able to find a temporary option, but it will depend on the state where the reception is to take place.

I've done this before but the venue didn't care that we brought our own wine in. It was a Catholic wedding so they're pretty lenient when it comes to wine!

It is really what the policy of the place where you would be having the reception. Some places have a policy in place that you have to buy from them or a licensed place. If your son does not have a hall rented yet, look for a place that does not have a policy on where the alcohol comes from.

Back