alcohol level in JAOM?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
What is the alcohol level that bread yeast dies out at? I did not take an SG reading on my JOAM so I don't know how much alcohol I have. I shared some with some friends the other night and it was very well recieved!

TIA, paulc

I think it is according to different variables, seems I've read where someone on here had it go up to close to 25% but it was fed in steps

25%!! :) Surely mine is not that much! Anyone know what a "normal" jaom alcohol level is using fleishmann yeast? tia

I think it is according to different variables, seems I've read where someone on here had it go up to close to 25% but it was fed in steps
Hum? Well I'm not aware of any yeasts commercially available that go that high, so I suspect someone was telling "porkies".

I understand that some people have managed to produce about the 12% ABV level, even with bread yeast........

But unless you do your best to take readings etc then you'll find it difficult to establish the % ABV without some very expensive hardware.....

I realize that this is an old post but I pitched some yeast tonight into what I think of as a variant of JAOM. I just measured the SG of the must. One gallon of water with 3.5 lbs of clover honey gave me an SG of 1.130 or more than about 17.5 % ABV. I am making a gallon but am using 71B -1122 and not bread yeast. I added acid blend rather than oranges (the pH is 3.83). I am also using nutrient and energizer rather than raisins.

I realize that this is an old post but I pitched some yeast tonight into what I think of as a variant of JAOM. I just measured the SG of the must. One gallon of water with 3.5 lbs of clover honey gave me an SG of 1.130 or more than about 17.5 % ABV. I am making a gallon but am using 71B -1122 and not bread yeast. I added acid blend rather than oranges (the pH is 3.83). I am also using nutrient and energizer rather than raisins.
So a traditional not JAO ? 71b will do 14% but its caveat is that its not known as being good for sur lie/batonage aging. The guesstimate is about 2 months after the ferment is complete to prevent autolysis off flavours. Nothing scientific about that just that I've not read any report of problems with that time frame....

Latest posts

Back