Airlock... not locked...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencepost

Reaction score
I have gained (some) patience and letting my wine sit for months in a carboy... but this being the first time I have not "hurried" it along, I forgot to check on the level in the airlock, and of course, it eventually evaporated so that I did not have oxygen exclusion... probably was low level for about a month, not completely dry just dropped below the level of it being able to work properly (frustrating thing is that I looked regularly to check on clearing, it's doing well on that, but did not notice airlock level).

Sooo... how bad will it be? I plan to bottle and let it sit for another 6 months... but what can I expect with no airlocking for a month or two? It was in the carboy for 6 months with the last one with no effective air lock. It was treated with k-meta. This is a grapefruit wine, not back sweetened yet.

Thanks for any guidance or recommendations.

You are probably OK. I would pop off the airlock and give it a sniff and taste. In bulk aging with the airlock, you are trying to avoid oxidation. In wine, it's a rule of thumb to rack every 3 months and check your sulfite levels.

Thanks... I will do the taste and smell test. I had the carboy full well up into the neck, it was in an enclosed space, no signs of fruit flies, so I am hoping you are correct and it will be ok. It is time to rack, sweeten, add kmeta and sorbate and bottle. I plan to leave it another 6 months in the bottle (as recommended by the reciepe). I don't know why I did not look at the airlock when I was checking clarity!

Racking every three months. Airlock checks, depending on the moisture in your aging room, check those every 2-3 weeks at least.

Yeah, I've done that too. It's my weekend thing now, I call it 'The Sweep', I check the levels of all of my carboy's airlocks, and top up as necessary.

As mentioned, your probably ok. especially if its toped up. not alot of air in the little neck. I have some wine still aging from 2017. I've done it, wine has turned out ok. after ferment is done, i use only silicone bungs now. no water to fill up. Solved that problem for me.

I always use vented... if you are 100% sure ferment is done, you can use solid.

Latest posts

Back