Airlock Bubbles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars Grogan

Junior
Reaction score
Working on my second batch ever, using juice I got from a friend at a local winery. When I first tested the juice, the s.g. was greater than the hydrometer would measure. I had to dilute the juice to a 2:1 juice to filtered water ratio. My previous batch was from a kit and required no filtered water added. I do small batches in a 2 gallon bucket. My final product was 1.5 gallons and the initial s.g. ended up at 1.130. I added 1 1/2 campden tablets and 1/2 tsp of yeast (sorry, not savvy on what kind, but it is wine making yeast that came with the equipment set). That was 2 days ago.

I checked in on it this morning. One thing I immediately noticed was the condition of the airlock. On the previous batch, I would see large bubbles pop through every couple seconds at this stage. With this batch, I don't see it bubbling the same way...but...instead of the solution in the airlock being clear, it is filled with a lot of tiny bubbles. Is this a sign it is fermenting, just differently? Or does this indicate the process stalled?

I'm planning on letting it sit and retesting the s.g. on Saturday to see if the chemistry is changing. But thought I would solicit thoughts from those wiser than me so I'm prepared for what to do next (which sounds like I might need to add more yeast and restart).

Thank you!

hum,,, i never ferment under air lock,
your must needs oxygen to thrive, i stir a couple times a day to get oxygen into my must, when your hydrometer stays the same for 3 days in a row, then airlock anywhere from SG of .996 up even to 1.000,, of course barring any stuck ferments,
Dawg

Airlocks on buckets with lids snapped down commonly do not produce bubbling in the airlock or if it does it does so at a very low rate. Bucket lids rarely seal completely once the bucket has been opened.

Try wetting down the lid and snapping it back down. Odds are if the wine if fermenting, the airlock will bubble as you expected..... for a few hours until the water evaporates.

Better yet, leave the lid off. Cover the bucket with a towel and tie it down with some string. Normally I don't even need to see the bubbles. I can tell it's fermenting by the smell when I enter the house or the room.

Back