Other Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlabruz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I was just watching fwk videos. Matt mentioned that their wines aren't meant to cellar 5-10 years. Why would that be?
I just got a double skin kit and had intentions to do just that for some of the bottles.

90% of the world's wine production is intended for consumption within 3 years. My guess is less than 1% is expected to last 10 years.

Factors affecting longevity include high acid, alcohol, tannin, and sugar. Long lasting wines need the best fruit. Kits are not that.

A lot of the discussion here presents unrealistic expectations of longevity. This is not to say that folks are not making wines that will last 10 years. But those reds will have the above factors, excluding sugar. Or fruit wines with high alcohol and sugar, and probably acid.

I suspect Matt's estimate may be low, as he won't want to set unrealistic expectations. Me? I estimate 5-7 years. This is a brand new product, and these are simply educated guesses.

Be cautious of saving wine until it's at it's peak, as at that point it's declining. Put away a few bottles for later drinking, but overall, enjoy the wine when it tastes good. If you prove Matt wrong, I suspect he will be pleased.

The SO2 added to wine to combat oxidation makes it's way past the cork at the rate of about 1ppm per month. So if you start with 50ppm at bottling, the SO2 will be gone in about 5 years. The tannins in wine take over, along with 55F degree temps and stored on their side or upside down. These wines last for decades. Wines with no tannin don't last long.

I read an article a while back regarding German Riesling from the 1700's. Their longevity was attributed to acid, sugar, and alcohol. The article did not go into the exact chemistry.

Back