Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the wine and what you want. Whites, 6-24 months but varies a lot. Reds, 1 to 3 years, also depends a lot on the wine.

If you tell us what you are making, might get more specific advice.

I am making strawberry, strawberry rhubarb, blueberry, sour cherry, cranberry, grape and soon black cap. Thank you

I've only made one fruit wine so I can't help you there. What is the grape?

In that case, I'd make sure the meta levels are good, keep air away from it and age it till you like it. A taste every now and then will be your guide. When it is what you like, rack, bottle and enjoy.

Its like Johny99 said about grape wine, the darker it is the longer it should age. With your fruit wines, I think alot depends on alcohol level an on sweetness. If high alcohol or you oaked it, age it to smooth out. If just a sweet fruit wine I wouldn't think you would get much out of long term ageing (over a year) but if you have the room, bottle and save some for a few years.

Fruit/country wines a month, low end kits 2 months and high end kits 3 months. Bottle age the same number of months that I bulk age. I've started to stow away a bottle or two from each new batch for later consumption but the rest gets consumed pretty quickly. I'd bulk age longer ifin I were a younger man but being in my early seventies I'm more inclined to enjoy the fruits of my labor sooner than later. Wish I had started this hobby decades ago and not just 3 1/2 years ago.

Latest posts

Back