Aging kit past 6 months

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qyhcat

Reaction score
I have had good outcome with my kits so far, and would like to start aging (if I can wait) longer than six months. The kit instructions read to add 1/4 tsp diluted to the batch before bottling.
For how long will this addition last?

If I want to age between one and two years, will it require more?

thanks

Qyhcat

I may get a few negative responses with this post. I'm not one to automatically rack every 3 months and add Kmeta. I'm been testing my SO2 with a Vinmetrica for a while and in a CARBOY and the stuff seems to stay quite awhile. My average is about every 4 months add a 1/8 tsp of Kmeta (this is assuming you are not racking every 3 months and the carboy is topped of to within an inch of the top). I usually rack when ever the lees/sediment get about a 1/2 inch on the bottom, usually about every 6 months, them I will add Kmeta (of course I test the SO2 level and add accordingly).
Take this advise at your own risk. The standard rule of thumb is rack every 3 months and add a 1/4 tsb of Kmeta.

Kevin

the accurate addition of so2 is dependent on PH. Certainly testing ph and residual so2 every three months would be the prudent way. if you do not have a method for measuring so2 , then a 1/4 tsp per 5 gallon is a good method.

I also do less k-meta than is the standard recommendation. I use 1/8 teaspoon every 3-4 months (or when I remember - lol). I typically bulk age 10-12 months, unless it is something I want to get bottled right away.

The short answer is yes, the 1/4 tsp addition will suffice for aging your kit wine that long. Additional additions come into play when you do long term carboy aging with rackings that introduce the possibilty of oxidation. If you are not doing this, the one time extra kmeta is sufficient.

Thanks. I am simple, for now just enjoying it. So I take that the addition of the 1/4 tsp Kmeta upon bottling, no carboy aging, will hold for aging one year and, lets say consume six months after...so 1.5 years total. Honestly, I think I will have a harder time holding my desire to drink it. Gotta do a lot more to keep up.

I just found a refrigerated location that i can rent space to age in carboy. Do I need to rack? or just top, like using marbles to prevent head space. These are kits and I filter before I bottle. In terms of additional Kmeta, I guess it is time to read more and get ready for testing.

regards,

Qyhcat

If your going to be storing you carboy in a remote location you might think about a waterless air lock. Some use vodka in a airlock (I have not tried this). You need something due to barometric pressure changes/heat expansion etc, this will help relieve the pressure.

If you have a lot of lees/sediment, I would rack, otherwise just top up.

Last edited:
In the instructions for Winexpert kits, it says that if you are bulk aging that you should replace the airlock with a solid stopper. Seems like that is opposite of what people say here (don't want the bung to pop off). Why does WE make that recommendation?

gyhcat - kit wines are quite straightford to make so it's best to not make things too complicated. These kits are all prebalanced and shouldn't really need any testing. Make the kits as per instructions and the only difference will be whether you bottle after clearing or bulk age in the carboy for awhile. If you bottle right away, add the additional kmeta at that time. If you bulk age for a while, add the additional kmeta when you bottle. Kit wines don't throw much sediment during bulk aging, assuming it cleared properly earlier, so you don't really have to rack during bulk aging. If you bulk age more than,say 6 months, then you may want to add a little more.
I have no experience with hot weather winemaking like in Florida, and your idea of off site storage for your carboy may work but I would not personally want to do that. I would be more inclined to let the wine sit in the carboy at home for an extra few weeks and then bottle it. You can then let your wine age in the bottles; you could put the cases of wine in the rental cooler if you wish. They would be much safer to leave there than a carboy of wine.
Either way, yes, you need to top up the carboy as soon as it is stabilized.

Latest posts

Back