WineXpert Aging in Bottle vs Addition of Potassium Metabisul

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laneygirl

Reaction score
I have become worried abouttwo batches ofwine (WE Lodi 11 Cab and Lodi Zin)that are recommended to age in bottle for at least 6 months for best drinkability. I didn't do the recommended step in their kit Step 4 where instructions "note" to add 1/4 tsp potassium metabisulphite to 1/2 C water prior to bottling.

Should I start drinking these since they've been in bottle for 2+ months or will they be OK after the 6 month window? Does anyone have experience with this same "mistake"?

I have aged wine for up to 1.5 years without adding extra sulfite with no issues. The real key is the conditions of where the aging takes place and this quote from Tim Vandegrift of Winexpert will provide more detail:

"At bottling, your wine will yield between 16 and 20 PPM FSO2. This is easily enough to hold the wine for one year, under nominal cellaring conditions--with superior cellar conditions, you're good for three years, easy.

The reason why we recommend adding the extra is that many folks have less-than-ideal storage conditions for their wine, but still want to age some of it for extended periods. Rather than just cranking up the amount in the kit itself, we allow for the option of adding an extraquarter-teaspoon (about 1.5 grams) which usually yields an extra 10 PPM FSO2 or so, which then allows for longer-term storage under even nominal conditions."

The best cellaring conditions:
<UL>
<LI>An environment that is cool (55-58 degrees) but more importantly a constant temp with the least amount of fluctuation possible. </LI>
<LI>Dark</LI>
<LI>No vibration</LI>[/list]Edited by: masta

I would not worry about it. If you will age wine for a few years, I would want the additional Kmeta. But I doubt you have the discipline to wait that long and your wine will be long gone. 2 v. 6 months shouldn't make any difference. The additional kmeta is insurance againstmicrobial infection and instability. Your wine might not have adequate levels of beasties to worry about and might do just fine aging a few years. But if you're looking for an excuse to drink, then by all means, start drinking. Edited by: dfwwino

Latest posts

Back