Age of Additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoaniB

Reaction score
Hi all,

This past weekend, I bought a lot of supplies from someone who would not be making wine anymore.

Last night, I finally inventoried everything, and realized I'd either won a jackpot or stumbled upon a wine-making pot o' gold.

Amongst everything was a bunch of additives - bentonite, isinglass, potassium sorbate, potassium metabisulphide, Lalvin EC-1118, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, glycerine, wine conditioner, tartaric and citric acid, etc.

I'm just wondering if any of these lose their potency or usability after a length of time? I'm planning to use kit wines for now, so presumably everything I need comes in the kits, but is it worth saving these for any future use?

Some loose their potency others are still good. The bentonite, glycerine, tartaric and citric acids, and K-meta will all be good.
Check the date on the yeast packet, that may give you a clue of the age of the isinglass and conditioner ( the conditioner should be a golden yellow, the isinglass should be milky clear).
Get rid of the sorbate, it only lasts about 2 to 3 years. The energizer and nutrient will last about 4 years if sealed and dry.
Conrgads on the find.

Thanks! I'm still surprised at just how ... everything there is! It definitely saves me a bunch and some worry.

Cheers!

Some loose their potency others are still good. The bentonite, glycerine, tartaric and citric acids, and K-meta will all be good.
Check the date on the yeast packet, that may give you a clue of the age of the isinglass and conditioner ( the conditioner should be a golden yellow, the isinglass should be milky clear).
Get rid of the sorbate, it only lasts about 2 to 3 years. The energizer and nutrient will last about 4 years if sealed and dry.
Conrgads on the find.
A question on storage. I buy 1/2 or 1lb packages of nutrient, energizer and others. When I first open them to use, I then put them in appropriate sized plastic jars. ie: peanut butter, mayonaise, etc.
Is this conducive to long(er) shelf life??

I want to try making a yeast starter with my remaining yeast. I've been storing my yeast energizer (Crosby & Baker) in the refrigerator for a week. I hope that I am doing the right thing(?)

I would rehydrate the yeast in 50 ml warm water for 15 minutes. In the meantime, I would add 2 teaspoons of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of yeast energizer into the 2 cups of warm water. After 15 minutes, I would pour the rehydrated yeast into the mixture.

Am I suppose to pitch the yeast starter into the must after 4 hours or should I wait for 12 hours?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back