First wine from grapes, do I have everything??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhanger

Junior
Reaction score
Hi. I've made kit wines in the past, and now I'm ready to try fresh grapes. I ordered 4 lugs of Cabernet Sauvignon from FVW, but I live 140 miles away and running back and forth to FVW is not the best option. I'll list below what supplies and equipment that I currently have and if any of you can think of anything else that I may need, I'd greatly appreciate the response. My plan is to pick up the grapes and use FVW crusher/destemmer before loading up and heading 2 hours home. Is there anything that I should do for the crushed grapes while traveling (ice, sulfur, etc.)? I have no blend planned, so is it ok to ferment the must in my smaller buckets or should I invest in a Brute? I was thinking of pressing by hand and I'm currently looking for some kind of tool to punch down the cap.

Winemaking Inventory

What I have:

FVW Deluxe Wine Equipment package with Glass carboy (7.8 gallon primary bucket with spigot, 6-gallon glass carboy, floating thermometer, hydrometer, wine thief, airlock, stopper, 18-in spoon, degasser, siphon, bottling equip, etc.)

Additional equipment that I have:
1 - 6 gallon carboy (currently in use)
1 - 5 gallon carboy
2 - 6.5 gallon buckets w/lid grommet
1 - 5 gallon bucket w/lid - no grommet
2 - 1 gallon jugs
3 - airlocks (1 in use)
3 - rubber stoppers (1 in use)
2 - funnels
3 - measuring cups (1L, .5L, 300 mL)
4 - measuring spoons (1/4 tsp thru 1 tbsp)
Accuvin pH test kit - 10 tests
Accuvin Free SO2 test kit - 10 tests
Carlson Acid Titration kit - 1 box
1 straining bag - large coarse
B-Brite Cleanser - 8 oz

Supplies:
K-meta - 4 oz
Superclear - 1 packet
Yeast - Red Star Pasteur Red (2 packets)
Yeast nutrient - Bacchus 2 oz
Lalvin Dried Malolactic culture - 1
Acid(s) Tartaric - 2 oz
Acid blend - 2 oz
Calcium carbonate - 2 oz (2)
Pectic Enzyme - 1 oz
Potassium sorbate - 1 oz (2)
Bentonite - 1 lb.
French Oak spirals - 1 pack Medium
French Oak Cubes - 1 lb medium

I think I may need another carboy, possibly another bucket, some test beakers, more airlocks and bungs/stoppers, and probably leaving out a few others. Again, all advice is appreciated. Cheers!

I am also doing my first 2 lugs of grapes. I found that the only thing I need additional to kit wine making is a bigger bucket for primary fermentation, or you can use Two 7 gal buckets. BTW, We destem and crush with our hands and feet.

Last edited:
I am also doing my first 2 lugs of grapes. I found that the only thing I need additional to kit wine making is a bigger bucket for primary fermentation, or you can use Two 7 gal buckets. BTW, We destem and crush with our hands and feet.

I was under the impression that were to have access to the crusher/de-stemmer at FVW for a small fee...

Do yourself a favor and invest $20 and get the brute. Punching down in buckets as I did my first time is a PITA. The mess (which is inevitable) is contained in the brute. Plus your not having to do testing out of each bucket only one. ML is added to only one not all three. You'll be happier in the end.

I have decided to get the brute. Now, do I need to drill a hole in the lid, install a grommet and airlock??

I would not. You should use this for primary fermentation. Just cover it with a small sheet of plastc or a large towel.

The Brute I got (20 gal) came with a lid. I just used that for primary.

Latest posts

Back