Other After 3 Cellar Craft showcase, now RJ Spagnols winery?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejiang

Reaction score
Hi Senior Members:

I have put 3 Cellar Craft showcase kits under fermenting now (Red Mountain Cabernet, Amarone, and Argentinean Melbec). There will probably enough for the premium CC kits. If I want to make some other premium kits after this, should I do RJ Spagnols winery? And what are the first 3 to recommend?

Thanks

EJ

Rjs winery series Super Tuscan is consistently reviewed as one of the beat kits period. Mine is only a few months old so I can't vouch personally but many can.

roadpupp said:
Rjs winery series Super Tuscan is consistently reviewed as one of the beat kits period. Mine is only a few months old so I can't vouch personally but many can.

Thanks. Can you recommend two more? I want to build up 6 kits aging while I drink lower ends for now;-)

The winery series Amerone, Rosso Grande Excellent, Old Vine Zinfandel I could go on but you will not be disappointed with any of the winery series.

rjb222 said:
The winery series Amerone, Rosso Grande Excellent, Old Vine Zinfandel I could go on but you will not be disappointed with any of the winery series.

Great. I hope there isn't a big number of the winery series to mortgage myself. Thanks

I'm not certain about the end product as it's still aging but early signs have been REALLY promising but I would suggest considering the Mosti Renaissance Impressions Barolo.

I am sure others may have had better experiences with Mosti Modiale Renaissance Impressions reds, but, sadly I have not. I made both the Amarone and the Barolo from that series and I have to say I am disappointed. I used both the grape pack and the raisins (the directions say to use one or ther other) in an attempt to give the wine more body but the Amarone is very thin while the Barolo is just acceptable. I am in the process of blending out the thinness of the Amarone with a very heavy Brunello that I made. The blend has promise. So far I have tried a 50:50 blend, today I will try 34:66 and 66:34 blends.

In fairness to MM, I will say that I have been pleased with their white varieties. I have made their Renaissance, Renaissance Impressions, Original All Juice and All Juice Master Edition and the same holds true; whites are good, reds are not. I have not tried the Meglioli yet and I am reluctant to spend more money on this line given my experience and the availability of excellent alternatives in kits, fresh juice and, although I have not done so for years, fresh grapes.

This is just my experience with this line and I am sure others have been pleased with MM reds.

I am sure others may have had better experiences with Mosti Modiale Renaissance Impressions reds, but, sadly I have not. I made both the Amarone and the Barolo from that series and I have to say I am disappointed. I used both the grape pack and the raisins (the directions say to use one or ther other) in an attempt to give the wine more body but the Amarone is very thin while the Barolo is just acceptable. I am in the process of blending out the thinness of the Amarone with a very heavy Brunello that I made. The blend has promise. So far I have tried a 50:50 blend, today I will try 34:66 and 66:34 blends.

In fairness to MM, I will say that I have been pleased with their white varieties. I have made their Renaissance, Renaissance Impressions, Original All Juice and All Juice Master Edition and the same holds true; whites are good, reds are not. I have not tried the Meglioli yet and I am reluctant to spend more money on this line given my experience and the availability of excellent alternatives in kits, fresh juice and, although I have not done so for years, fresh grapes.

This is just my experience with this line and I am sure others have been pleased with MM reds.

i agree with you on the Renaissance Impressions. I made Renaissance Impressions Barolo about 3 months agao and it is clearing now. I used both the raisins and grape pack. I sample each time i rack and it lacks body and aroma. i found my paclabs kit has better body. the impressions was promising at the start' grape pack, high OG. Disappointing so far.

By the way, what OAK you put into Barolo kit? I am thinking of using hungarian oak.

Just to remain a bit off topic. I have not done the MM Impressions but was excited when they launched the line. I have planned to do one (some) but have not gotten around to it. Since the launch I have been concerned that there has been little chatter about the MMI line and people's "impressions". On the other hand I have dome two of the new Wine Expert kits with skins and have been extremely pleased early on. There has been quite a bit of discussion of the WE w/skins and most folks have positive things to say.

I made a MM Renaissance Australian Chardonnay. The wine has turned out nice, but I was surprised that a sticker on the kit box said the grapes were sourced in the USA. I was expecting grapes juice sourced from - where else but Australia.

I hate to dis any manufacturer, but I made a MM Meglioli Barolo over 2 years ago; it is still in the carboy because it wasn't shaping up enough to bottle. Last weekend I tasted it again for the first time in about 3 or 4 months. It still has so much KT that it seems to have not lost any of it at all in over two years. The wine has even spent a month in one of my barrels.

A Meglioli is a very expensive (over $200), ultra-premium kit, so I am pretty disappointed. I took the glass of wine and swirled it and aerated it for 45 minutes. After that amount of time, some of the KT had blown off, but the wine that was left just wasn't what I thought it should be after two years, especially for the cost of such a kit.

I know not everyone has had such a bad experience with MM, but I am just really disappointed. About a year ago someone pointed out that very few medals are being won by MM. I went back and looked at the Wine Maker's Magazine contest and say that was true, so, maybe it is not just me.

I hope others who have had a much better experience will go ahead and post.

Last edited:
i heard nothing but good things about MM kits. I still have a Malvasia Bianca in the box from George's move. it is sorry to hear so many disappointment on the Meglioli kits.

i heard nothing but good things about MM kits. I still have a Malvasia Bianca in the box from George's move. it is sorry to hear so many disappointment on the Meglioli kits.

Just remember that I spoke only of my own results; yours could be very different. Give it a try and you just might disagree with me. (I hope you do both!)

Enjoy

Kanio, as Robie points out, this has been our experience. Yours could be different. I have seen others on the forum who were pleased with the line and someone whom I respect, George Cornelius at Fine Vine Wines, is very high on them. You have Malvasia Bianca, and my experience with MM whites has been very good. It is the reds that have disappointed me. I would like to try a Meglioli but I am reluctant to do so because I can almost get two RJS Winery Series or Cellar Craft Showcase for the same price and I know they are great. Wine is a matter of individual taste and I don't like to put down a whole line. I am just reporting my experience.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. we will see how the meglioli turn out later this fall.

I just ordered my second Renaissance Impressions Amarone from George. I was concerned at first that it was over oaked, however at 10 months it is coming around exactly like I wanted. I was going for a wine similar in style to the older Cru Select Platinum Amarone that contained raisins. It was declared by many of my friends as the best wine they have ever tasted. The Platinum Amarone no longer contains raisins, as near as I can tell, so I have not made one since. The Renaissance Impressions is showing excellent body and aromas and the oak is nearly perfect for my taste. I have made CC Showcase Amarone the last several years and, while it is an excellent wine, seems a bit soft as an Amarone. The commercial versions have a bit of a 'bite' to them that Showcase seems to lack. The Renaissance Impressions seems to have that bite. I have also stashed a case that will be aged significantly longer. I hope to get some of that case to the 5 year mark. Yeah, whatever, that will never happen but I can dream.

Robbie I have done 2 of the Meglioli, Amarone and Cab/Syrah. I have sworn I would never do another. Couldn't stand them at bottling Which was a year after beginning yeast. Almost threw out the cab/syrah not wanting to waste the bottles. After 18 months they were pretty good at 2 years the cab/syrah is hands down a family favorite. My adult kids fight over taking bottles home when they leave my house. The Amarone is now 18 months in bottle and 30 month since yeast pitch. We have not drink much of it yet but what we have we have loved. It won a silver metal this year at the Pittsburgh competition. I did not do a Meg last year because at that point I was still not happy with the 2 previous. I'll take a good look when they are announced this year. As far as kit taste I am NOT very sensitive to it my son is and he does not complain about either of these having any kt at all. I hope Mosti realize that there Limited offering Was rather uninteresting last year. They need to kick it up a notch to get my 200 bucks this year.

Hi Senior Members:

I have put 3 Cellar Craft showcase kits under fermenting now (Red Mountain Cabernet, Amarone, and Argentinean Melbec). There will probably enough for the premium CC kits. If I want to make some other premium kits after this, should I do RJ Spagnols winery? And what are the first 3 to recommend?

Thanks

EJ

My advice, overall, is to stick with the RJS Winery Series. It's a very good blend of quality and value. Super Tuscan must be #1. Beyond that, and trying add variety to your cellar, I'd go for #2 either Rosso Grande Eccellente or Old Vine Zinfandel, and #3 Valopicella.

Tony P.

I'm curious ... is it possible that differences in water quality are causing the huge difference in opinions on some of the kits?

I think there can be a difference. I installed a charcoal filter on my tap where I make the wine. It is inexpensive and should last a long time. It does clear much of the chlorine taste from the water and I am convinced it improves the end result greatly. Just one man's opinion.

I'm curious ... is it possible that differences in water quality are causing the huge difference in opinions on some of the kits?

Bob, I don't use tap water as an ingredient when making wine. (I use it for making cleaner and sanitizing solutions and often for rinsing.) Instead I use spring water. My tap water is fine for cooking and drinking, but it lacks the purity I prefer.

Tony P.

Latest posts

Back