Advice on apples for hard cider

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cburke

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

looking to make a batch of cider for the second time - last year's came out ok, but did not start with a great choice of apples.

So, this year I would like to buy apples that are more specific for cider making. Not a huge selection from my local orchards, but from what I have read else were the following are what I am considering: Baldwin, golden russet, Jonathon, gravenstein (if there are any left), and northern spy.

Was planning on blending a few but could go with a single variety if one of the above would work well on its own. Any suggestions?

Also, could I blend in some of the more typical, eating apples like McIntosh, golden delicious or Cortland?

Thank you in advance!!!

What part of the country are you in? Our local orchards have Grimes Golden, some Arkansa Blacks and Blacktwigs coming in, soon the Goldrushes are due in, also Stayman is still grown by some orchards. Keep asking around at the orchards, sometimes they just have a few of these trees for fun as most people only know a few kinds of apples to eat or cook with. WVMJ

Live in seacoast New Hampshire. Around here everything is dominated by Macintosh, cortland, golden delicious etc. Found a few other places that sell grimes golden, Roxbury russet, ashmead's kernel, and Winesap and maybe dabinett. Would have to drive a ways, but willing to if something will make a significant difference.

I have 12 bushes of Grimes Golden in my basement waiting to be pressed, basement smells wonderful, cant wait to press these and get some cider. If you can drive to get these Roxburry and ashmeads and winesaps and dabinetts I think that you would have a much better cider than Macs. I think I have read that some people have used Cortland for cider and that golden delicious with its sweetness and low acid would also make a good cider as part of a blend, but if you could get some tannins in there like from the dabinettes it would be much better. WVMJ

Cburke what orchard has those apples you listed? I've never heard of them and I am in southern NH. This weekend I will be in Rye so I would love to find these unusual apples. Thanks and good luck!

I live in Durham near Demerritt Hill Farm and work in Exeter near Applecrest. Applecrest is near rye, they have the northern spy, Baldwin and golden russet. The others I searched out at www.newenglandapples.org. Do a search under find an apple orchard and choose by variety.

Thank you that is a great link!! Looking forward to following along with what you choose and how it turns out!

I planted about 6 trees this spring, some for eating some for cider. But if I'm lucky I might have some apples next year, maybe. Bought most of them from cummins nursery. But until then I will need to buy my apples.

On a different note after calling to see about the availability of the cider apples, most of the smaller locations that have cider apples are not selling any because of the tough winter. May have to use a lot if Baldwin, but from what I have read it can support a cider on its own. I guess you have to use what you can get.

Probably not a good idea to let them make even 1 apple on your trees, let them make a tree first, pick off any blossums this next spring so you dont Runt them out. WVMJ

I'd do like WVMJ and pick the blossoms for a year or two, to let the tree establish itself as a tree.. And make an apple blossom wine in the mean time.

Latest posts

Back