Mosti Mondiale Adventures in Port Style WIne Making

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have reached about day 20 today, which is when it is supposed to be racked to secondary. I checked the SG this morning and it is still stable at .990. That is also with the addition of 3 pounds of sugar water. It is definitely already higher in alcohol than your typical wine and tastes really good. Gotta come off the oak now, but that has balanced with the high ABV nicely. I could drink this now and be satisfied with it(once it ages a bit). With all my additions I am making with it and then fortifying with brandy, I will have at least a couple bottles extra that I will leave to compare to the Mosti Frozen Must Amarone. I think this will compare quite nicely with that one.

Appleman, I have my AJ Amarone in the primary since Sat afternoon. The directions tell me what the SG should be, but not how long it is to sit in the primary.
It has slowed down in the foaming and now just "hissing" a little.
Should I wait 7 days or go ahead and check the SG now?

Check the SG and if it is in the transfer range, you could transfer now. Just don't rush it and transfer too early or you could have a mess.

jobe05 said:
Sounds like a great way to do a home made port appleman.

Because you are taking a wine that usually finishes out in the 15% range normally, Raising the Sg a little to get a couple extra ABV may not be a problem, Flavor wise, otherwise I would highly recommend using a 1/2 cup per gallon of the light malt. I found that it hides the higher alcohol or "hot" taste almost completely. My first batch of Port I was able to ferment and fortify fortify to 30% ABV, second batch was 22% and this last batch was at 24% ABV and I added an extra 1/4 cup per gallon and it turned out fantastic!

The Malt also helps to give the port a lot more body.

I have gotten sum of the malt damp to see what it does, and it hardens like candy, Malted candy. I'm wondering, if you going for that Chocolate taste in some, if you just couldn't use Malted milk balls in the secondary? Kind of joking there, but I might have to try that..........

Jobe is this 1/2 cupmalt on top of the 1.09 sg ?

jobe, can dry malt extract be used or does it need to be in liquid form. Also if dry extract is used do I mix it directly with the wine or with water first?

The flavoring pack in the LaBodega has a very strong carmel taste to it. My guess it is some form of carmelized sugar. When we made the LaBodega, the wine was so tasty that we almost did not add the flavoring pack, but after we tasted it, we said it had to go in. I do plan to make a LaBodega without the flavoring pack for the same reason the appleman is using the Amarone kit.....because I can!

Update!!!!!!!

After seeing that 1.5 liter bottle sitting on the shelf for over six months now, I decided to split it up and try a bit. It was the bottom of the batch when I mixed it up and had that much left over after topping the 6 gallon carboy and adding all the extras. I made one 750 ml bottle, one 375 ml bottle and one BIG Winestock 2008 wine glass full! I ended up fortifying this with Blackberry Brandy.

Initial reactions.......................WOWZERS!!! THIS STUFF IS DELICIOUS!!!!

I have had a bottle of Waldo's..... er Santa's Chocolate Raspberry Port for our 30th Anniversary- which seems to be the deFacto great Port Wine of the Year!!!!!(Available again this year- Shameless Plug for George!) His came out super and really knocks your socks off(I find it has a hint of bitter like bittersweet chocolate).

That being said- when you taste this Port- Made from a base of a Mosti Renaissance Amarone- hang onto your hats because it is GREAT. Remember it uses the Amarone as a base, is fortified with extra sugar to boost the ABV, uses raisins and is a great kit on it's own. I then added two little bottles of the Swiss Chocolate Extract George sells. Let it age some and then add 2 liter bottles of Blackberry Brandy.

This recipe is destined to be made again. It has the slight bitters of the Amarone style, wonderful chocolate and blackberry aromas and those same flavors along with black cherry. The flavors linger and punctuate the palate. Each taste lingers longer and tastes better. I will be waiting another couple months and then bottling this baby when things slow down after summer and I can get a label made(help Joan!). I know Waldo has a couple bottles coming his way when I do!

When I bottle, I will post a picture or two.

Wow, that sounds great Rich! Nothing better then experimenting and winning.

Got a batch of that MM LaBodga (from george) in the oak stage going now. not to stabilize or back sweeten stages yet and it smells good enough to drink now. if this stuff improves through the rest of the phases,I won't be able to stand it.

JC
p.s. you were right wade ( go ahead make another post )

Sounds like you have a real winner there appleman. I have a Port I made that is still bulk agingand have been contemplating adding a chocolate flavoring to it but just can't decide what exactly to use. Would you recommend the extract you used? This Port is almost a year old now and has already been fortified with a unflavored brandy

I am totally satisfied with the results of this chocolate extract. It is easy to use and really does add chocolate flavors nicely.

Appleman, I couldn't imagine anything tasting better!!!
smiley17.gif
Tried my chocolate raspberry port couple of weeks ago and the chocolate bursts thru first then the raspberry. Oh My!!!!! It is only going to get better!!
Your Port sounds delicious!!!!

It doesn't take much Waldo. Get two little bottles, add one and check it after a couple days. If you want more add the second. If you like it as is, save the second one for a later batch. I used two in my batch.

This batch of Port got bottled up today along with a few others. I needed the carboys and figured things had bulk aged enough. I certainly am not a big port drinker since they are very expensive, but this one is as good as any I have had before. I'm glad I didn't overdo it with the brandy now. I am very pleased with the balance of flavors offsetting the higher alcohol. I had just bottled the Mosti All Juice Amarone (frozen must) and was thrilled with how it turned out. I drew out a sample when starting to bottle and swirled it- whew the alcohol opened my nostrils up good. That's right I said, this is a port! The body of this Rennaissance kit is amazing! Putting a bit in the mouth, I was immediately hit with the chocolate, nice and creamy, mixed with vanilla. It tastes about like milk chocolate. The vanilla is really there also and just a hint of blackberries and raspberries in the back. The slight bitter at the back end lasts a bit and leaves you wanting for more! I could go for this one in a big way, but need to keep in mind that it will knock you to your knees if you drink too much!

Latest posts

Back