Adjusting the pH before pitching

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I have a red Must which has a low pH ( 3.1 ) .

As I have experience with such acidic Musts , I'd like to know if I can adjust the pH upward after adding SO2 and Pectinase .

Each time I adjust the S.G. and the pH then I add SO2 and after 12 Hours I add Pectinase , but then as I measure the pH 12 Hours later , it has dropped again to 3.1-3.2 because of the functioning of the Enzyme which derives more acids from the skins and then I should adjust the pH once more before pitching the yeast .

So , I'd like to know if it's possible to add 50 ppm of SO2 to the Must regardless of its pH and 24 Hours later ( after that the Enzyme has done its job ) , I would adjust the pH upward to 3.5 and pitch the yeast .

Would it be O.K. ?!

Hector

Last edited:
That would be ok .
Are you using acidex for the adjustment? Are these hybrid grapes? What's your TA?

3.1 is low but still in the range where you could use Marvin b yeast (eats 55% malic during primary) followed by mlf and cold stabilizing .

Apparently Hector only has Pasteur Red yeast and MLF is too expensive for him to do on a small scale. Correct me if I'm wrong, Hector, but you are using only table grapes, right? Do you know what the acid profile is?

71b would be an option , it's just as available and cheap as other yeasts and will eat 5-10% of the malic

Latest posts

Back