Adjust OG? Muscadine Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stroud71

Reaction score
OK guys this is my very first post on the web site. I have been home brewing beer for a little over a year and I have around 20 batches under my belt. I have also made 3 batches of wine but they were all from kits, which turned out very well. As of today I started my very first batch of wine from fresh fruit. The recipe I used called for 6 lb of grapes, 6 pts of water, and 2 lb of sugar for a 1 gal batch. I had 38 pounds of Muscadines so I was trying for a 6 gal batch but I made a mistake. I don't know what the hell I was thanking but I added to much water. I split the grapes in half, used 2 buckets and added 3 gal of water to each, I should have used 2.25 gal each. I was trying for an OG of 1.100 but with the extra water I am at 1.070. Should I just go with what I have or should I add more corn sugar to get the OG up. I would like at add about another 10 pounds of grapes but I don't know if I can get anymore. Thanks for the help.

#RookieMistake :po

i would add sugar to get to 1.095, let it ferment dry, find 10 lbs of grapes, juice then make a simple syrup out of the juice, and add once its clear and you have added sorbate...

add sugar a cup at a time, and check with your hydrmoeter after wards until it gets to 1.095...i would think that about 4 cups will get you to that sg.

Make sure you stir well after adding the sugar. Then check the gravity. If you don't have it stirred in next thing we will hear is my ferment won't start. Gravity is out of sight. Been there, only thing you can do then is make it into a bigger batch, add more ingredients except sugar. Arne.

Back