Additives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersteeb

Junior
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question for anyone to answer........

This is my first time making wine and I am racking into my carboy this weekend. My kit contained additives (berries) when and how are they discarded from the wine. my instructions do not say when to take them out or how.

Has anyone been though this?

Thank You!

Most of the time you would remove them just before racking to carboy. I would normaly have them in a straining bag. I would squeeze the juice out of the berrys before removing them. Some kits do not use a bag and you just rack off of the berrys leaving them in the bucket.

It would help to know the brand and type of kit.

Are these grapes you speak of or fruit from a can? Either way, if you dont have them in a fermenting bag then I would get a new fine strainer from a dollar store and sanitize it. If you have lots of fruit floating then scoop as much of this as you can out and then rack through this and have a sanitized funnel under that, preferably new too. If some gets through thats fine but you do want to try to get most of it out now. Welcome and feel free to ask any questions you may have cause thats why we are here. Hope you stay with us and join the wine making family. Where are you from?

If you have skins or berries left in your primary, just leave a gallon of lees ect. in the primary and start a second run

Back