Adding Tannins - need your help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCGoodin

Reaction score
I bought a Reserve Du Chateau Barbaresco from Amazon - full 6 gallons - even though it's a full 6 gallons it's lighter in body than a quality kit.

As I've read about enhancing wine, I'm wondering if adding oak and tannins would get it to a good quality.

Please let me know your thoughts. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if you suggest adding ingredients, please add your best guess at quantities of each.

Put your chemist hat on and give me a Big Bang Theory.......

That's a Nebbiolo grape, so raisins can help. Use organic raisins.

You can add tannins (tannin supra or others) up front during fermentation, or during bulk aging (tancor grand cru). As to amount, go by the instructions that come with the tannins. If you add a heavier dose of tannins, the wine will have to age longer to soften them.

Barbaresco

That's a Nebbiolo grape, so raisins can help. Use organic raisins.

You can add tannins (tannin supra or others) up front during fermentation, or during bulk aging (tancor grand cru). As to amount, go by the instructions that come with the tannins. If you add a heavier dose of tannins, the wine will have to age longer to soften them.

I just sent this to secondary and did a taste test. It was great so there is no need to add anything else.

Latest posts

Back