Adding sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty Nesmith

Reaction score
Is there a chart anywhere that tells how much sugar to add? I have been making kit wines. The first two started with a SG of around 1090. The last couple started around 1070. I am wondering if adding sugar is the best way to raise it and how much to add.

A lot of the online formulas and calculators are in g/l, which I find inconvenient, so I did a conversion. Besides when we break things down, it's simple math.

1 lb sugar = 2.25 cups, which raises the SG of 1 gallon by 0.045

Simple division indicates: 1/2 cup sugar raises the SG of 1 gallon by 0.010 (1/4 cup = 0.005 is more granular if needed)

You want to raise 6 gallons by 0.020:

(0.020/0.010) * 0.5 cup * 6 gallons = 6 cups (3 lbs is 6.75 cups)

I recommend adding half the sugar, stir very well, and check SG. The must should be ~1.080. If the SG differs by much, adjust the amount of remaining sugar added. As much as the sugar addition should be simple math, natural products are involved so results can vary. As mentioned above, removing the sugar is far trickier than adding ....

A lot of the online formulas and calculators are in g/l, which I find inconvenient, so I did a conversion. Besides when we break things down, it's simple math.

1 lb sugar = 2.25 cups, which raises the SG of 1 gallon by 0.045

Simple division indicates: 1/2 cup sugar raises the SG of 1 gallon by 0.010 (1/4 cup = 0.005 is more granular if needed)

You want to raise 6 gallons by 0.020:

(0.020/0.010) * 0.5 cup * 6 gallons = 6 cups (3 lbs is 6.75 cups)

I recommend adding half the sugar, stir very well, and check SG. The must should be ~1.080. If the SG differs by much, adjust the amount of remaining sugar added. As much as the sugar addition should be simple math, natural products are involved so results can vary. As mentioned above, removing the sugar is far trickier than adding ....

This is one of the reasons I really like Fermcalc. If you like to do things in g/L okay, select that unit type. You want to do it in lbs, kgs, brix, sg. take your pick. For me it is one of my go to tools.

http://www.fermcalc.com/FermCalcJS.html
There is also an app for your phone, tablet, etc. search for Fermcalc in your app store.

I am wondering if I stirred the must after adding the sugar on my last batch of kit wine,,, and whether it matters that much. I add the sugar, then add the gallons of r/o water. I think that mixes it up pretty well, but I really dont know for sure that the sugar is completely dissolved, or how much that matters.

If you want an accurate SG reading, the sugar must be fully dissolved and evenly distributed through the must. The only way to ensure both are true is to stir well.

When doing fresh grapes or fruit, I stir well and check the SG in 3 different areas of the primary fermenter. If the readings are not the same, I stir more. Fruit (grape or not) that has not been chaptalized (sugar added) can have different readings in different places. With grapes, not all will have the same SG, depending on ripeness and (probably) other factors.

Back