WineXpert Adding extra sulphite at bottling ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Frog

Reaction score
Question. Winexpert instructions say "It is recommended to age your wine for at least 6 months before drinking, either in a topped up carboy, or in the bottle. To age the wine for this period, you will need to add extra metabisulphite to prevent oxidation."

What is the best way to add and mix in the extra metabisulphite without disturbing any sediment or exposing the wine to too much oxygen?

Thanks !
smiley20.gif

If I am going to bottle without an additional racking, I add the sulfite at the same time as I add the stabilizers and fining agents. This way, I don't have to stir up the lees again. If I am going to give it an additional racking, I just put the sulfites in the bottom of the clean carboy and rack the wine on top of it. According to Tim Vandergrift, this method will work just fine.

why would you put the sulfites on the bottom of the carboy and not the pour it in after the racking???

I put the sulfites in the bottom as when you add the wine, the sulfites get distributed throughout the wine. It is also the recommended method by Tim Vandergrift.

interesting, always thought they'd work from top to bottom, but makes sense it goes the other way... thanks George

I was also wondering about the extra sulfite. How much should be added and can you use the same sulfite as you do to sanitize? Is there any downside to adding more sulfite -- the kits say they contain less sulfite than commercial wines, so it would appear that there is wiggle room. Thanks.

The recommend addition is 1/4 tsp. for a 6-gallon carboy. This will raise the SO2 level from around 20-24 ppm to 30-36 ppm. Commercial wines run in the 75-200 ppm range.

You can use either Potassium Metabisulfite or Sodium Metabisulfite. I don't want salt in my wine, so I use the potassium variety. Yes, this is the same stuff used to sanitize.

is there any difference from the 1-step solution and regular or "pure??" metabisulphite sanitizer ??

1-Step is an oxygen based cleaner and does not contain any sulfites. Do not use this in your wine, only to clean your equipment. In addition, I strongly recommend rinsing the 1-step out after cleaning.

so the fact that i get one step no rinse solution so i don't have to rinse is really not that good, i should just get regular sulfite solution or mix my potassium metabisulphite in water and use that??? --if i do use metabisulphite, does that still need to be rinsed???

You want to clean AND sanitize. The 1-step is an oxygen based cleanser and under most circumstances, it will clean well enough that you do not have to use the sulfites. My official recommendation is to clean with 1-step or easy clean to remove all visible residue. Then sanitize with a solution of 2 oz. of sulfites dissolved in 1 gallon of water. You do not need to rinse the sulfite solution. In addition, the sulfite will keep for 2-3 months if stored in an air-tight container. The reason for cleaning first is to not dirty up your sanitizing solution.

good to know...thanks, i've been cleaning and sanitizing with one step this whole time

Latest posts

Back