adding a liqueur to wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forager

Junior
Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding some black current liqueur to a top up a batch of mixed-berry wine (blueberry, elderberry, juneberry) that I'll be racking fairly shortly. The batch has been in secondary for a few weeks now and i need to get it off the lees and into a final carboy fairly soon so it can age. It's a one gallon batch and there will be some loss when I transfer it over. Anybody ever tried this? The liqueur is 23% alcohol but very sweet. I'm unsure if I should be adding sorbate to avoid fermentation starting up again in this situation... there doesn't seem to be much info online about this beyond creating fortified wines which isn't my goal, just want to top it up a bit.

Thanks in advance!

If you do a port and get the abv above 20, you are safe from having fermentation kick off. By topping, you are introducing some sugar, which could kick of fermentation. I would SO2, sorbate (assuming you did not add mlb), add the liqueur and then give it another month or two. The sorbate doesn’t kill the yeast, it only stops them from reproducing, so you may get a little activity and generate sediment and some CO2

I'm adding 190 proof everclear. I don't think it will kick off fermentation

Latest posts

Back