Add yeast to already fermenting juice bucket?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deedubbs

Junior
Reaction score
I picked up two juice buckets today, both already fermenting, 1.060 and 1.080, respectively. They are Carnenere and Malbec from CFP in Pittsburgh.

I wanted to ferment with Lavin 212... Can I add it now? I think this strain often needs nutrient, but won't I get a volcano?

Amy help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I say go for it. I don't think you will get a volcano. Here are two ways to practically ensure it. Method 1: just sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the must. The dried yeast will just sit on top for a while. Method 2: rehydrate the yeast in a small separate vessel, preferably with a yeast energizer. Add the liquid to your must.

As for adding nutrient, once again, if you dissolve the nutrient in a small amount of liquid in a separate vessel, you won't trigger the release of lots of gas.

RC212 and some other standard winemaking yeasts can outcompete many other yeasts, so I think adding it is a fine idea.

Just a newb question but... If it is already fermenting, what is the advantage of introduction of a new strain of yeast at this point?
Nutrients I get to help it complete, but it seems that the yeast has already gotten a good start?

I want a peppery spicy flavor and the yeast that I want would help with that.

Not all yeast adds the same flavor... not all yeast clear the same either.

RC212 does need nutrient. If well fed, it will treat you right!

If this is already fermenting, then I would not add additional yeast. My thinking is that the fermenting yeast already in you wine is at a different phase in it's life cycle. Introducing a new yeast and having it go though the growth phase may not leave enough time for the yeast to actually do any good.

My other concern is that the two different yeasts may be in competition and, as a result, may increase the amount of stress on both strains.

I am not an expert in this area, but my gut feeling is to just let the wine finish fermenting with the yeast you currently have active.

Latest posts

Back