active fermentation question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA-BOY

Reaction score
My 5-7 days of active ferm. was done on this past friday. I then snapped the lid on the bucket and placed the airlock in firmly. This is a welches grape wine by the way. anyway I do not see any active bubbling out of the airlock., am I supposed to? or does it only let loose once in a while through the lock. thanks. LA-BOY

What was your begining SG and the SG when you snapped the lid down?
Take your hand and press down verylightly on the middle of thelid and see if it bubbles in the airlock. May just be going really slow

You may also have a bad seal. But, Do what Waldo suggested. We need to know current gravity.

When I've left the wine in a bucket for secondary fermentation instead of racking to a carboy, I've noticed that the airlock only bubbles every now and then. I think it's because of the extra headspace and slight flexibility of the lid.

K&GB said:
When I've left the wine in a bucket for secondary fermentation instead of racking to a carboy, I've noticed that the airlock only bubbles every now and then. I think it's because of the extra headspace and slight flexibility of the lid.

Don't forget that the more head space the longer it will take to build up the pressure. Aslo, you will not see to much more activity compared to the primary. What was the gravity when you transferred?

Most likely your fermentation is done as Im guessing this is a smaller batch and smaller batches go much quicker. If it is done fermenting get it into carboy now.

My SG is 1.020, is that about right or do I need to add something. It smells pretty good already, anyway please let me know, thanks la-boy.

It needs more time . Check the gravity in 10-14 days. I should be .994-6. Then you can start to add your fining agents.

Keep us posted

Latest posts

Back