Accidentally put beer brite in secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigswol2

Junior
Reaction score
Help! I can't find much info on beer bright so I don't know if this batch is lost. In between rackings I accidentally added five 1/4 tsp scoops (1 AND 1/4 TSP) of beer brite instead of Kmeta to a 5 gallon batch. Is this lost or can I salvage it. TIA.

OK, never heard of beerbrite, what the heck is it? a cleanser or fining agent?

The only place i can find online that sells it, says it requires rinsing.. So im thinking the batch might not be drinkable.. i however, cant find what it *actually is* - chemically.

If "beer bright" is the same as "b-brite", then it's actually sodium percarbonate, which is actually an oxidizing agent (it's a key ingredient in oxyclean). It is a cleaner, not a sanitizer, and would typically need a good rinsing on equipment, bottles, etc.

My best guess is that you won't want to drink wine with this much added to it. But maybe I'm missing what "beer bright" really is...

Sodium Percarbonate

Sodium Percarbonate when disolved becomes Hydrogen Peroxide & Sodium Carbonate (soda ash). the Peroxide will eventually become just hdrogen & water. The Soda Ash will impact Acid levels. If in 6 gallons - probably not a huge health risk.

But, the other question is why were you going to add that much K-Meta at racking? Normally all you would need is 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons

Latest posts

Back