Accident With Blackberry--Help!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I can't believe I did this...I accidentally added twice the required amount of K-Meta to my blackberry (7 gal) which is in secondary. Duh! And I had the required data in my notes. I was very tired and I did not refer to the notes. At any rate, I plan to splash rack tomorrow. Any other suggestions?

Were are you with the fermentation???? What was your SG. when you added the the K-Meta??

If fermentation was completed, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I would wait a few weeks and rack it agin. The handling will lower the S02 levels a bit and make it clearer. I wouldn't splash rack it if fermentation is done.

The wine had finished fermenting--the SG was 0.996. I was preparing to add some oak and let the wine age a bit under airlock.

I would just let the wine bulk age for quite some time before bottling. We typically sulfate our wines approx. 1/2 of what commercial wineries do so you are in the ball park. Do have S02 testing Equip.?

As appleman said, it will be OK ...If at a later point you have a way to check the SO2 levels would be good, but some racking and bulk aging will allow the SO2 levels to go down...

Latest posts

Back