WineXpert ABV Newbie Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barney

Reaction score
I have started a Green Apple Riesling kit and have a question about the ABV. If I am reading everything correctly, my finished wine should be about 5%. Does that sound right? Not that I am going for just alcohol content, but that is very disappointing. I would think that a wine would be at least 10%. If I am right about the ABV, I will end up with 30 large bottles of sweet beer.

Thanks.

The Island Mist products are labeled and sold as a light alcohol "Refreshment Beverage" and the alcohol content should end up in the 6-7% abv range.

Since Masta posted the official answer I will post what a lot of people do. They simply make a sugar solution at the initial stage(primary) out of about 5 pounds of sugar boiled in about 2-4 quarts water. Let it cool and add to must in primary. Remember since you are adding this, you need less water to 6 gallons AND officially it voids your kit warranty. This boosts the kit to about 10% ABV. Do a search and you will find a lot on this subject.

Just putting in my 2 cents worth.Appleman and Masta have far more knowledge than we do and post some great replies. Thank you
smiley32.gif

As far as the green Apple Im kit goes, we added 3 lbs of white sugar to primary (boiled in H2O and cooled) and it turned out great!! Friends we gave some bottles to loved it. my buddy gave me a bottle of IM black raspberry Merlot "straight up" it was quiet good, closer to a wine cooler in my opinion, but very good flavor. Make another kit and tweak it a bit.(at your own risk of course
smiley2.gif
) they are quick to make and relatively cheap to makeEdited by: chevyguy65

After making at least 20-25 of these type of kits I have stopped making them since the wife has finally moved away from the sweet stuff but don't think I ever made one without adding 5-6 lbs of sugar to the primary.

Thanks for the help. I wish I had known this when I started. Good learning experience. Any one interested in a low alcohol "Refreshment Beverage"? I hope my wife likes it.

Thanks again.

Barney,

You can always add something like "sour apple" schnapps or other hard stuff to the glass and make a cocktail. No matter what ,you learned something and thats always a (+) in my book. Be open minded about it and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

P.S read my signature... try to stay sane !!
smiley29.gif

I think she will either like it or dislike it no matter what the alcohol content is and there are some folks who think increasing the alcohol content defeats thepurpose and flavorof this type of product.

Bert,
Step 3. Stabilize, clear, sweeten and top up. All done last night. I think it is too late.

We will enjoy it as is. I am not going for just alcohol content, but I was just shocked when I realized the ABV would be so low. If I make another kit, I will add sugar to increase the SG.

Thanks.

Just thinking maybe you could have still added some sugar, but to late now....I still think you will enjoy it...served chilled on a summer day, it make for a very nice drink...

Just dont try and age it more than 2 years as it will go past its
prime. That might even be too long but I have a few that are around 1
1/2 years and have to drink them but I keep forgetting about them when
Im thirsty.

I am making an IM Wildberry Shiraz. It is clearing as we speak. It is my third mist kit. I decided to play with this one so with a little research I mixed in 2 cups of sugar and half of the Flavor pack into the primary for a SG of 1.070. I am bottling next Sunday 6/03 and we shall see. I liked the other ones and the alcohol content seems decent to me....<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Well you brought up the alc a little and you wont be adding a lot of
flavor back since you used 1/2 of it in the beginning so let us know
how it comes out!

Back