WineXpert About clearing ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kinda liked the fact that the WE kits have you stir the lees back in. If I'm using the fining agents, I follow those instructions. It's nice to finish AF in glass, degas, KMS and fine without that extra racking!

These days however, since I'm bulk aging much longer, I tend to skip their fining chems and opt for natural clearing and extra rackings.

I kinda liked the fact that the WE kits have you stir the lees back in. If I'm using the fining agents, I follow those instructions. It's nice to finish AF in glass, degas, KMS and fine without that extra racking!

These days however, since I'm bulk aging much longer, I tend to skip their fining chems and opt for natural clearing and extra rackings.

Yep that's what I tend to do, natural is the way to go if you have the time, space to store carboy, and of course some inventory already bottled your good to go! I've got so many carboys bulk aging it's ridiculous!

So if I do bulk aging, I can skip the final process and just adding the KMeta and the sorbate without the clearing pack ?

So if I do bulk aging, I can skip the final process and just adding the KMeta and the sorbate without the clearing pack ?

Yes, if you wait long enough. And, unless you are backsweetening, you can skip the sorbate, too. It is used to reduce the chances of a refermentation of any remaining sugars; if you let it go dry-dry-dry, you won't need sorbate.

Does sorbate change the taste of the wine ?

Hard to say for sure, some believe it's the source of kit taste, others don't. I don't know, just try to be as close to real wine making as I can, i.e.: limit unnecessary additives. I've got time. Never mixed sorbate with water and tasted it.

I've been making kits for many many years and have always added what came in the box even though I let my carboys sit for 6-10 months. I have always been and will be one who racks before clearing. Never had any issues for my tastes.

cheers

Latest posts

Back