A SG for a fruit wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CChampion

Junior
Reaction score
I haven't been doing this for a long time but have tried to make some muscadine, blueberry and blackberry wine before in the past. All haven't came out what I would call stellar
smiley7.gif
. I have read many articles and have bought 6 or 7 books on home wine making and feel like I am a little knowledgeable on the basics that come with it but I value what I think counts most and that is real personal opinions and instruction and that is what makes this site really neat.

Here is my question, after making all these wines, like I said they didn't turn out to what I have tasted of other homemade fruit wines. Mine seemed to lack the fruitty flavors and seems a bit tart or sharpe at the end even after back sweetening. I have followed the recipes that come in books and it just hasn't worked for me yet. Now the question, I have started my SG out at 1.090 to 1.100 like most all recipes call for. But I was wanting to know that if a lower SG was used would this allow more fruitty taste to my wine by lowering the alcohol. This wine will not be stored very long periods of time and the proper acid levels and sulfite levels will be used.

The one thing that Waldo told me that went wrong with my muscadine is that the recipe that I used with it didn't call for near the amount of fruit. Any other suggestions or comments are welcome. Just so you guys know, I only fool with fruit wines and tend to like them a bit on the sweeter side, nothing real dry.

Thanks so much in advance,

Clark

To make good fruit wine you need alot of fruit
Blueberry and Blackberry use 6#'s per gallon. For strawberry 7-8# per gallon.
I bet you are using alot less # per gallon.
Search here for F-pac. I posted the how a way back. You should add a F-Pac and Backsweeten to bring the fruit forward.
Starting gravity should be no higher than 1.085. Anything higher the alcohol will overtake the fruit flavor.

Latest posts

Back