A little unsettled..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
since starting my second wine kit.

My first kit was and still is a hit with the family and friends and it tastes better with every new bottle we open.

Since starting the second kit which is a Kenridge Showcase Pinot Grigio which fermenting happened so quickly, i've been kind of wondering if i did something to hastily. Since washing and sanitizing everything with Diversol for the first time and then reading about using Diversol correctly and then wondering if i really did use it correctly and now wondering even more if it affected the S.G or quality of the wine somehow or am i just worrying too much? Should i be checking the quality of the wine somehow with a test of somekind that would tell me if there has been some kind of reaction with the wine and sanitization chemicals or should i be just relaxing with a bottle of wine and drinking my mind clear of stuff?

Isn't diversol a cleaner that needs to be rinsed off equipment before use? If you rinsed, you're fine. Most cleaners made for wine makers do rinse rather easily and cleanly.

You'll find that different wines will go at different paces. Some ferment very quickly, others seem to poke along forever.

Good luck, enjoy your second batch and hopefully, it's just the beginning of a long list of successful wines you have yet to make.

If the starting and ending SG's are within your target numbers and the taste is okay, your wine should be fine. Many factors, especially temperature, affect the rate of fermentation.

Diversol (aka pink powder) is a very good chlorinated cleaner. It is also a sanitizer if you soak the equipment for 20 minutes plus. On the negative side, because it is chlorinated it should be rinsed well.

I can't see it having an effect on your wine unless you left a lot in the primary or carboy.

Steve

Latest posts

Back