Other A good, FAST white?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis

spreadsheet wrangler
Reaction score
Here's the deal: I live in Canada, but only for the next 9-12 months. I have 35-40 gallons of high-end kit products bulk aging back in Texas; high quality is my concern for the long term but not for right now.

I just started a WE Mezza Luna Red kit for quick table drinking while in CA, and want to do a white for table drinking with spicy food. Pretty much any kit of any major brand is locally available at the store down the street (Canada is AWESOME in this respect!).

The parameters:
-Must be drinkable fast. I want to have it ready for summer drinking if possible, and above all must have it all gone before I go back to TX. I can filter if necessary.
-Must be good enough to drink
-Doesn't have to be the best wine ever, just the best available in short time
-Cost is a factor. Cheap is not a requirement but is a preference.
-I rarely drink whites, and would like something off-dry to complement the aforementioned spicy food

Thanks in advance,

Travis

Sauvignon blancs are typically drank young, I have a cheapo Paklab kit in secondary right now, tweaked with some oak in primary and white grape concentrate. I tried it when I racked to secondary but it was still really yeasty and hard to tell the flavor.

Pinot Grigios also are not typically aged.

WE makes a Mezza Luna White as well, I haven't made it personally but all WE kits I've made are drinkable.

I'd say Mezza Luna White or Luna Bianca. They are both backsweetened with an f-pac and are good early drinkers in my opinion.

A quick white that goes well with spicy food? Bear with me here. My suggestion is the WE Island Mist Green Apple Riesling. 2 weeks to ferment, 2 weeks to clear, drink immediately. You can decide how much of the F-pack to add, from off-dry to very sweet. Serve it well chilled. Everyone I have served this to has loved it -- including myself.

Oh, and Travis, if you have any of it left over when you have to go back to Texas, let me know and you can ship the remainder to me.

I also forgot to say that I have always added 4 lbs of white table sugar before fermentation. Boosts ABV up to around 12-13%.

Good and fast don't really go well with wine...

Noted, but Canada doesn't really go well without it.

Tom, I've wondered about those things, and may try one. Probably not instead of a white, but maybe in addition to.

Fish,

Based on some extensive research, I ended up going with the Mezza Luna white, held back about 3 liters on the final volume (I'd have to toss that much to fit it in the smaller better bottles I brought anyway) and added about half the f-pack up front. OG is a bit high as a result of both of these things, but that shouldn't give me any problems.

I'll post back with results if I remember.

I used the coastal white from winexpert and it can be done in 4 weeks, it gets better if you give it longer but it isn't terrible after 4 weeks.
You can do most apple wines very, very quickly from concentrate and they can be pretty nice even when young.
I don't know how any of it pairs with spicy food since I don't eat it but you want quick and these are quick.

Travis said:
Here's the deal: I live in Canada, but only for the next 9-12 months. I have 35-40 gallons of high-end kit products bulk aging back in Texas; high quality is my concern for the long term but not for right now.

I just started a WE Mezza Luna Red kit for quick table drinking while in CA, and want to do a white for table drinking with spicy food. Pretty much any kit of any major brand is locally available at the store down the street (Canada is AWESOME in this respect!).

The parameters:
-Must be drinkable fast. I want to have it ready for summer drinking if possible, and above all must have it all gone before I go back to TX. I can filter if necessary.
-Must be good enough to drink
-Doesn't have to be the best wine ever, just the best available in short time
-Cost is a factor. Cheap is not a requirement but is a preference.
-I rarely drink whites, and would like something off-dry to complement the aforementioned spicy food

Thanks in advance,

Travis

Skeeter pee is your wine

Latest posts

Back