A few beginner questions...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have my wine juice i am currently bringing it up to room temp. A few questions prior to starting my primary fermentation...

Do i need to add potassium metabisulfite to the juice to kill any bacteria before introducing my yeast?
During Primary fermentation should my container be in a dark area or does light not matter during primary fermentation?
Once Primary fermentation is complete and i begin aging the wine should this be in the dark as well? and will wine be okay in a cool basement during the winter and into spring months?

Thanks for the help!

I have my wine juice i am currently bringing it up to room temp. A few questions prior to starting my primary fermentation...

Do i need to add potassium metabisulfite to the juice to kill any bacteria before introducing my yeast?
During Primary fermentation should my container be in a dark area or does light not matter during primary fermentation?
Once Primary fermentation is complete and i begin aging the wine should this be in the dark as well? and will wine be okay in a cool basement during the winter and into spring months?

Thanks for the help!
Unless I suspect a problem with the must, I don’t add sulfite prior to AF. As for the light question, it’s always best to eliminate as much light as possible to preserve the color you work so hard to get.

Latest posts

Back