71B-1122 or K1V-1116 for meads and melomels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadman77

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Looking for a different yeast to use for meads and melomels and also fruit wines. I am living in a climate where maximum temps are over 25 degrees for a lot of the year. This pretty much means that ICV-D47 is not a good yeast for me what what I understand. So i'm after some opinions on whether 71B-1122 or K1V-1116 or another is better for this kind of fermenting. Speed is not that concerning to me. I just want a good strong fermenter that wont strip out alot of flavours and that is not super sensitive to contamination with wild yeast. Any suggestions?

71B would be good if you are working with a mead that is high in Malic acid since it can metabolize some of it. and its max temp can handle 30C. However, I would not advice getting it that high.

K1V-1116 is a pretty forgiving yeast, it can handle up to 35 C.. Once again, I would not advice it... And supposedly, it can handle low nutrient levels.. Which is nice for mead... I would still advice remedying that with fermaidK and O though. If you are worried about having to compete with wild yeast, K1V-1116 would be a good choice since it is a strong factor and it has the "competitive factor".

Dh47 is a good yeast for mead, you just have to take care of it is all though....

BTW, I got all this info from lavlin's website. If you want a comprehensive guide on yeast choice give the scottlabs fermentation handbook a read... It is free.

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/71B.asp

http://www.lalvinyeast.com/K1V1116.asp

Thanks mate, will definitely check them out. I had read Lalvins website but am always a little skeptical of company info and was hoping to hear that people's experiences match this. I have downloaded the fermentation handbook and will have a read. Cheers.

Enjoy! They spent a lot of money doing research to figure out which yeast strains work best for certain products, so that we would not have too.

Latest posts

Back